Is this true about oil changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old timer mechanic says:

If you change your oil and filter every 3000 miles it does not matter what brand or how expensive the oil is that you use, you just won't have any lube related problems??? This seems to make sense as long as the oil is the correct viscosity and meets the API requirements of the engine. Clean oil, Clean filter, no lube problems and long engine life? Thanks for your thoughts.

cool.gif
I would agree with that. But I still wouldn't use a Fram filter.
nono.gif

I'll agree with that. Of course the oil should also meet the manufacturer's spec. on certain high end cars.

I believe that for me, I can get the same results and even save money in the long run by running a quality synthetic and extending drain intervals.

You can approach it two ways, cheap oil, short drain or better oil longer drain.

I don't enjoy oil changes that much or the increased waste to dispose of.

I think this might be true, but only if you don't plan on keeping your can past 150k. I think after that your engine will be running better after 150k if you've been running a better oil, and ultimately it will last longer.

I disagree with the oil filter too. You going to have more wear if your filter is being bypass, either by failure or otherwise.

-T

Personal experience, I followed the severe schedule on my car and changed oil at 3750 miles, reality 4k-4.5k miles using dino mostly Valvoline (first 130k) (not great oil to eyes on this board). Anyway my car now 10 years old has 210k miles and the motor has never been repaired just maintenance performed. It runs well and starts fine even in -10F temps using dino. I'll continue using dino however will use Pennzoil every 4k until I get sick of the car. My car manual actually states that synthetic and additives only add to the cost of operation of vehicle.

I recall language like that in the manual for a Honda Civic I used to have.

I doubt that mfg' are actually worried about cars lasting too long, since the vast majority of first owners who get rid of a car do so for reasons other than engine problems (look at all the perfectly good used cars available). In other words, I think new car demand is not impacted by vehicle longevity now that they typically last a good 10-15 years with minimal care...

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:

quote:

My car manual actually states that synthetic and additives only add to the cost of operation of vehicle.

Just curiosity, what kind of car do you have (I'd love to know which mfr said that)? For the extra-cynical amongst us, maybe the mfr is worried that if onwers use good synthetics, they'll never need another new car. . .

Its a 94 Honda Civic as the other poster stated. I'm sick of it btw but it never breaks down so I have no just cause to sell it.

quote:

Originally posted by Pitbull:
If you change your oil and filter every 3000 miles it does not matter what brand or how expensive the oil is that you use, you just won't have any lube related problems? ... Clean oil, Clean filter, no lube problems and long engine life?

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyO:
I would agree with that. But I still wouldn't use a Fram filter.

IMO, if you're going to follow the first premise, then you're better off using Fram filters. Bob's filter study & UOAs using Frams have shown great flow & low trace metals, & Frams have proven to stand up to short intervals like this. If you're buying low cost oil, why the heck wouldn't you use a low cost, proven filter like Fram at every oil change?

Of course, using a premium synthetic oil & filter for 10k mile intervals makes more sense to me. You'll get better protection out of 10k mile old M1 than you ever will out of 3k mile old 79¢/qt Accel oil, & spend less time & money in the process.

Although I try never to use Frams, I do apprecite the defense of the filter. Obviously there's a great many of them sold and most of them don't fail. Flow may very well be more important than overall construction.

I use to believe in your 'Old Time Mechanics' statement. I still do to a certain extent.
What worries me today is keeping the gum and varnish under control.

These new engines have the ring pack higher on the piston and the rings get allot hotter today than previously.Synthetic oil will take this hight temp allot better than dino.

It's certainly possible to get a long engine life with 3k intervals with conventional oil, however I don't believe this is true in all circumstances. If you live in a cold climate, or have a high performance engine (especially turbocharged) and like to drive it hard often, you'll have your best shot at the longest engine life when running a high quality synthetic compared to any old cheap oil. Conventional oil has gotten much better in the last few years, but it's still not going to keep an engine as clean as synthetic, nor will it protect as well under the extremes.

Most people don't tend to keep their cars long enough to see the difference though, if I'm going to be perfectly frank. If you're the type to trade your car in before you've put 100,000 miles on it, which probably the majority of the driving public does, it almost doesn't matter what you do, because even if you changed your cheap oil only every 10k you'd probably still make it to 100k. It might not be running so perfect by that time, but it'll make it there without the engine seizing up on you anyhow.

Thanks for the feedback. I have 2 new vehicles, one is a Nissan 350Z and the other is a Toyota 4runner V8. I will trade both before 100K miles and plan on changing the oil/filter on both through the dealers every 3-4K miles. Nissan dealer uses Mopar oil (it's a Nissan/Mopar dealer)that is made by Mobil it is a dino oil, also Nissan does not recommend synthetic???, (I know that sounded weird to me also). Toyota uses Castrol GTX dino or they also offer the Castrol synthetic if you want to spend the $$$. I plan on using the dino. So both vehicles will be getting good quality dino oil and OEM filters every 3-4K miles. Anyone see a problem? Would you still want to buy them as used vehicles?

You'll be perfectly fine at those change intervals. I would not have a problem buying a vehicle from anyone who could prove regular oil changes. The fact they used synthetic would not make me personally more inclined to buy a vehicle. I think many other components in a car will fail before something related to oil will.

[ April 21, 2004, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: andyfish ]

quote:

Originally posted by Pitbull:
Thanks for the feedback. I have 2 new vehicles, one is a Nissan 350Z and the other is a Toyota 4runner V8. I will trade both before 100K miles and plan on changing the oil/filter on both through the dealers every 3-4K miles. Nissan dealer uses Mopar oil (it's a Nissan/Mopar dealer)that is made by Mobil it is a dino oil, also Nissan does not recommend synthetic???, (I know that sounded weird to me also). Toyota uses Castrol GTX dino or they also offer the Castrol synthetic if you want to spend the $$$. I plan on using the dino. So both vehicles will be getting good quality dino oil and OEM filters every 3-4K miles. Anyone see a problem? Would you still want to buy them as used vehicles?

You are fine using those oils for those intervals and yes, I would gladly buy such a vehicle if I were in the used car market. Fact is, the vast majority of used vehicles won't have nearly that good of a maintenance routine.

Patman posted that dino won't keep an engine as clean as a synthetic would.I hear this a lot.I use synthetic oil but I always contemplate going to dino for the cost factor however the engine cleanliness issue is a big deal to me.

Can a dino with 3K OCI keep an engine clean as a synthetic or is it really all in the application on whether or not it will?

I too would agree with the old timer... There are vehicles out there that should only run synthetics say a super charged/turbo charged motor.

I have just changed to a synthetic about a week ago for the first time ever (Mobil 1 0W-20). I already know that I am not going back to dino oil! My truck (its super charged) runs smoother, quieter and even cooler. I am sold on it and just the thought of Mobil 1 in my motor makes me feel better! I am going to extend my oil change out to 5000 miles (as recommended by Ford) or 6 months.

I use to own a couple of Cummins Turbo diesels, wrapped in Dodges. Most of the guys on the Turbo diesel registry ran dino and a few got 1,000,000 miles off of the engine without engine tear down or turbo replacement, many in the 500,000+ mileage. They Changed oil/filter every 5-7K miles. Dino must not be too bad for turbos? I agree that if you are not cooling them down properly then synthetic would have less tendency to coke.

For the past 35 years I have changed oil every 3,000 miles in the MANY cars I've owned over that period. Generally used was Castrol 10W30GTX and FRAM filters. I've yet to have an engine fail with either component. All of these cars were sold with 100K+ on the clock and ran perfectly. All other maintenance was performed by an absolutely anal maintenance freak...ME.

Nowadays I'm into M1 with a considerbly better oil filter (the last three cars,anyway),I expect they will last at least as long as previous GM oldies. The current products have been Japanese so I treat them with M1 or Red Line oil and a considerably better filter. Can I tell the difference? Well no, they all run well if taken care of. That said, I'll stick with a true synthetic oil simply because I feel it does a better job, as does a better filter. Is this just a "feel good" thing? Perhaps so but I feel the machinery that carts me back & forth to work along with long ventures will treat me well if I treat it well. Absurd? Perhaps so but allow me my superstition.

I have the exact opposite to report from my Toyota Cressida. 3000 mile changes with Castrol GTX and after 250,000 I have a oil consumption/seal problems that I don't believe I would have had if synthetic had been used. Others that have used synethtic for this milage report better results than I got with dino oil. That is enough for me to use only synthetic in my new car.
wink.gif

quote:

My car manual actually states that synthetic and additives only add to the cost of operation of vehicle.

Just curiosity, what kind of car do you have (I'd love to know which mfr said that)? For the extra-cynical amongst us, maybe the mfr is worried that if onwers use good synthetics, they'll never need another new car. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back