Is this trailer worth salvaging for cross country use?

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
I am trying to find an additional trailer as part of a cross country move. I cam across this trailer going to auction. The visual damage is easy to see. What I can't see is undercarriage damage and conditions of axles.

I would appreciate any thoughts if this trailer is worth the risk/ trying to repair in today's high priced trailer market.

t1.gif
t2.gif
t3.gif
t4.gif

Depends how much they want for it. New wheels and tires are not a big deal but bent axle(s) could be a problem.

But again, what is the acquisition cost? If the worst is wheels and tires (already a given) how much are axles and brakes, and what's the time needed to do that? I have no clue about the trailer market but am assuming mechanical simplicity for that unit, i.e., no engine or trans. Keep us posted.

can you view the trailer in person? ask a lot of questions - especially about why there is no tire/wheel/etc.

Trailers are pretty simple, if you have a decent trailer retailer nearby ask them what new axles would cost to install

Depends how much they want for it. New wheels and tires are not a big deal but bent axle(s) could be a problem.

But again, what is the acquisition cost? If the worst is wheels and tires (already a given) how much are axles and brakes, and what's the time needed to do that? I have no clue about the trailer market but am assuming mechanical simplicity for that unit, i.e., no engine or trans. Keep us posted.
It goes to auction, so cost is unknown.

This trailer sold earlier today. Based on pre-bid activity, I suspect about $2300. Which is downright scary of a price.

t5.gif

Last edited:
can you view the trailer in person? ask a lot of questions - especially about why there is no tire/wheel/etc.

Trailers are pretty simple, if you have a decent trailer retailer nearby ask them what new axles would cost to install
The trailer is at a auction salvage lot, so what one sees is what one gets.

Two weeks ago the auction firm cancelled the ability to do in-person pre-inspections, due to health concerns.....

Minimize your issues with the cross country move, you know there are plenty from experience anyways without having a trailer eat up a tire every 160 miles or having a trailer brake that doesnt work on one side. Buy a new trailer and sell it on the other side.

Better off putting the money into renting a U-haul .
too many variables in buying that trailer.

That axle looks broken to me - drum is up agaist the side…. It should be 2” outboard or so. Broken axle or snapped spring purchases, both could be sourced and re-welded, but you know there will be some external costs.

Reactions: GON
There is a reason that trailer is being auctioned off - whoever was pulling it when it took The Big Dirt Nap saw the extent of the damage and decided to leave it. You should too.

There is a reason that trailer is being auctioned off - whoever was pulling it when it took The Big Dirt Nap saw the extent of the damage and decided to leave it. You should too.
Pre-bid (early bid) on the trailer was $1075. The real players typically go live bid. I suspect the trailer sold earlier this morning in the 2l-3k range. I was unable to watch the auction.

Pre-bid (early bid) on the trailer was $1075. The real players typically go live bid. I suspect the trailer sold earlier this morning in the 2l-3k range. I was unable to watch the auction.
Good deal or not, you have a move to get ready for, right? It seems to me, spending your time trying to make that trailer roadworthy would be a poor allocation of your limited resources.

But that’s my opinion, which when combined with $0.50, might get you a phone call, if you can find a pay phone. 🤷

This is another trailer I am watching. It goes to auction next week. Primary damage is hail, and the right rear damage seems cosmetic.

The issue with this trailer is (1) it has a Illinois title, could be a rust bucket underneath (2) and this is the big one, the trailer has been sitting on the auction lot since JUN of 2017. Not a misprint. JUN 2017. No idea what its current condition is. Most trailers leak. In the case, if it leaks, then the water froze, leaked, thawed, froze , etc for four seasons.

Good deal or not, you have a move to get ready for, right? It seems to me, spending your time trying to make that trailer roadworthy would be a poor allocation of your limited resources.

But that’s my opinion, which when combined with $0.50, might get you a phone call, if you can find a pay phone. 🤷
Good points, very good points. Thanks for taking the time to share your observations.

Back