Is this stealing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using a relatives name and address to receive the Castrol Edge or Pennzoil Platinum mega-rebates going on right now.

I say this is outright theft. What say you guys?

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
To me, it's not theft, it's simply more trouble than I'd go to, for such a small $ amount.

Appreciate the honesty.

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
Using a relatives name and address to receive the Castrol Edge or Pennzoil Platinum mega-rebates going on right now.

+1, but tempting.

as long as the F.B.I. or JOHNNY don't show up at their door . Ding Dong !
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: labman

+1, but tempting.

Frankly this is why I posted this. I was extremely tempted to do this. It feels very victimless, but ultimately it didn't pass my conscience test.

Is this stealing? They allow 2 per household. Two seperate purchases are made 3 days apart both sent in, only one recorded? The stealing works both ways.

Originally Posted By: smokey1
as long as the F.B.I. or JOHNNY don't show up at their door . Ding Dong !
shocked2.gif

Now you're talking.
56.gif
grin2.gif
(Back to the store...)

how about using household address of a neighbor that is VALVOLINE user and believes PENNZOIL causes sludge ?
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
To me, it's not theft, it's simply more trouble than I'd go to, for such a small $ amount.

Exactly.

Dishonest perhaps, but not stealing, IMO, provided the second address does exist and people live there. A lot of grey areas. Half the people here who do this probably change the oil for the people at the second address, and then of course not.

It's a creative solution to an inconvenient restriction. You are still buying the product, and they are still happy to sell it to you.

Restrictions like that are put in place for bulk purchases. So no, it's not stealing.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
As long as the relative knows, I would not have any objection to it.

+1

-1. Not theft.

If I buy the oil and mail the rebate, and my Mom buys the oil and sends in the rebate, we've both bought product. Now in my particular case, my Mom will never, ever, buy her own oil. So my buying it in her place and mailing her the rebate causes harm to who? Castrol or Pennzoil will not have a sale out of her, where in this case, they have an extra sale via proxy. They may not be making as much off the sale, but they're making money on a sale that they wouldn't have otherwise.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
As long as the relative knows, I would not have any objection to it.

+1

+2 I've done similar stuff before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back