Is this spare tire still ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kept the original spare tire out of my '90 Cherokee when I totaled it a few months ago. It's one of the small "donut" spares. It's never been used, but it is 14 years old. Still holds air just fine. It's got this spot on the side wall though, looks like where it rubbed where it was mounted. It's got two cracks running through the spot.
 -

Is this still ok to use? I want to use it for my boat, which doesn't have a spare...

I am not an expert but I think the current thinking is 10 years is about all. But with it being unused and setting in a trunk all this time I'd probably do it if the load was not much and you could keep the speed down just to get some where.

I know I have done alot worse and gotten away with it on my old chevy truck.

Take it to a junk yard and see if they will trade it for a newer one for little or nothing. Rubber just does not age that well.

I once saw a space saver spare worn down to the steel belts. It was on the back of a Astro cargo van(RWD), some guy was letting his teenage daughter drive it.
rolleyes.gif

If it's a spare, hopefully your not using it for long like the person above. If it holds air, I wouldn't worry about it.

-T

Personally I try to use up my tires within 4 years of manufacture date. And anything above 6 years I don't put anywhere near my car. Most manufacturers say 6 years is the limit. Not sure how that applies to donuts though. I've never heard of anyone actually replacing a donut tire due to its age.

Anything over 4 years old is working on borrowed time. The worst tires in that class are spares because they aren't being used. Rubber actually self lubricates itself when rolling due to heat. It doesn't matter if the tire is stored in the shade with no air, it will dry out. Ever wonder why trailer tires tend to blow out more than anything else we own?? Most only get used a couple times of year. They look great because they have full tread, but the rubber has dried out and is more prone to massive failure (blowout).

I've even had a tire in my wifes Jimmy blow out in the spare tire location which is inside the vehicle. It did a slow unravel but it was literally in pieces under the cover. It was the original tire (1985) that came on the truck and the original owner just used it as a spare when he replaced the original Tiger Paws. It was well worn and finally blew out after 13 years, but inside the vehicle on a spare tire mount?? It can happen!! Also, never buy used tires for the same reason. You're so much better off with cheap new tires than old dried out expensive tires. Technology of today is much better than even 5 years ago. I'm in the tire equipment business and the above info comes for tire engineers and consultants that live and breath this stuff. Hope this helps.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back