is this serpentine belt/ac belt in bad condition?

Ive seen Volvo’s make a similar noise but it’s difficult to tel exactly the type of noise from a video.

I have heard that noise before. It occurred when I replaced a power steering pump, and when I replaced the pulley it was 1/8” of an inch from being fully on. Generically it means if one of the pulleys is not in line, it can make that noise. Also, I believe a bad alternator can cause noise. Also check for bearing noise by spinning each individual pulley (without the belt on). Good luck. Also thanks for the lead on Streamable. I might try load my recording from my IPhone. :)

Edit. Is this the sound?

This is my first Streamable up load

Www.Streamable.com/qezahb

And here is the same vehicle after pushing the power steering pulley on another 1/8 inch so it is flush on the shaft.

Www.streamable.com/3r4fvw

Last edited:
anyone have an idea of what this noise is? its a whining noise and kinda sounds like an electric whining noise. i assumed it was the tensioner assembly asd the belts since those were worn so we replaced those but the noise didnt go away. it maybe got quieter by a tiny bit. heres a clip
audio clip of noise

sorry the engine is idling so its a bit harder to notice the whining noise but its there, doesnt seem to do it when turning the wheel and its most prominent at idle. i stood outside in a parking lot while my friend drove the car slowly towards me and i can only seem to hear it when the car is at a full stop idle, i am not sure if maybe the engine noise masks it when it is driving but i am pretty positive that its only there during idle and full stop. going to buy a mechanic stethoscope in next few days but just wanted tips if anyone can identify it. for me it sounds like alternator whine but maybe it could be the water pump? or something else in that area.

**in person the noise is more trebly if that makes sense, the mic is picking up too much of the wind noise/fan noise so it sounds different, just focus on the whining noise plz*

thx!!
Hi. Check the post prior the this one.i might have come across a similar sound. Plus it looks like I’m now hooked on Streamable. :)

I have heard that noise before. It occurred when I replaced a power steering pump, and when I replaced the pulley it was 1/8” of an inch from being fully on. Generically it means if one of the pulleys is not in line, it can make that noise. Also, I believe a bad alternator can cause noise. Also check for bearing noise by spinning each individual pulley (without the belt on). Good luck. Also thanks for the lead on Streamable. I might try load my recording from my IPhone. :)

Edit. Is this the sound?

This is my first Streamable up load

Www.Streamable.com/qezahb

And here is the same vehicle after pushing the power steering pulley on another 1/8 inch so it is flush on the shaft.

Www.streamable.com/3r4fvw

thanks a ton for the reply! so you are saying maybe the pulley for my power steering pump is not installed fully? like it is either coming out a little bit or it is recessed a little bit which is causing the belt not to be properly aligned which causes a noise?

the noise is very similar but mine sounds more electric tho, like it sounds like an eletric whine. also i tried moving my tires at a standstill, and the noise doesnt change. right when i give gas, the noise seems to go away, as in when the rpm goes higher, i cannot notice the noise anymore.

i have to get stetoscope to check hehe

Back