Is this rumor true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we go again. A couple of months ago, someone claimed to have seen Castrol Syntec 0w-30 in bottles marked "made in the U.S.". He claimed that GC was no longer made in Germany and that the formula had changed. Everyone, including myself, kinda freaked. But in the end, no one could find any evidence that GC had been cheapened and was now made in the U.S. So, for the record, GC is still made in Germany. The most recent batch numbers will affirm this. It has not been cheapened, watered down, tampered with or in any other way ruined. Please, let's put this rumor to rest. Thank you.

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
where did you hear this rumor from???

Probably from here.
rolleyes.gif

I did some extensive searching for a few bottles of Green to round out my older GC stash, and if I saw a USA label on ANY GC, I would have noticed.

As soon as someone comes up with a GC Gold M06 with a picture that says Made in the USA - I'll believe it. When that time comes, I think enough members will be interested in doing an analysis (like we did with Green). Unfortunately, all my AutoZones are still on the M05 stock.

One thing required though - PICTURES.
smile.gif

technically it wouldn't be GC if it had a "USA label" on it so you'd never see it...

IIRC the yellow label 0w30 I found behind the last 6 made in germany quarts, said Made In the USA. I have a camera phone, I suppose I could take a pic to show what the yellow label 0w30 is?

Quote:

IIRC the yellow label 0w30 I found behind the last 6 made in germany quarts, said Made In the USA. I have a camera phone, I suppose I could take a pic to show what the yellow label 0w30 is?

That would be pre-GC; like made before (around) '02.

These guys are talking about current time.

Quote:

Just wanted to say that I saw 0W-30 Castrol Syntec at AutoZone with a Made in USA label.

Yeah, and Elvis, Jimmy Hoffa, and JFK were there fighting over the last bottle with "Made in Germany" on it.

laugh.gif

Quote:

Just wanted to say that I saw 0W-30 Castrol Syntec at AutoZone with a Made in USA label.

Not a huge shock, it was likely old stock. My local AutoZone stores have some still on the shelves too.

Just returned from 2 AZ's all the 0-30 was M06 stock,
does that mean the green's all gone and it's gold now???

Quote:

Just returned from 2 AZ's all the 0-30 was M06 stock,
does that mean the green's all gone and it's gold now???

Green GC has been gone from many AutoZones for quite some time now. It's still out there, but the supply is dwindling as we speak. Your best bet for locating some would be off the beaten path AutoZone stores, or inner-city locations in the not-so-pnice part of town.

Quote:

I just bought a 6 pack of 0W-30 with the yellow label from Auto Zone and they all say "Made in Germany".

This yellow label?...

1.jpg

2.jpg

Or this label?...

GC_M06152_Front.jpg

GC_M06152_Rear.jpg

The first is "domestic" Castrol Syntec made in the U.S. This is the really old stock you may still find on store shelves.

The later is "German" Castrol Syntec batch "M06152..." which I purchased a week ago or so.

Can you post a pic of the bottle you have, or match it up to one of these?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back