Is this possible 2,000,000 miles on the same engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see where in that article it said original engine. Very likely it was rebuilt on more than one occasion.

It has been rebuilt at least once (at 600K iirc).

Irv is a legend in Volvo circles....

I remember reading a few years ago that a fella had driven one million miles in a VW bug. According to that article, he had rebuilt the motor seven times. Now, obviously, a VW is not a Volvo, but my point is, it doesn't have to have the original motor to qualify for the record.

40,000 hours at 50 MPH! I'd be more interested to know how many seats he's been through.

That is a beautiful car no doubt about it.

Did anyone notice Irv Gordon's tip number 4? "Use one brand of oil." My father and grandfather thought the same thing. I am barely able to stick with one wife. How am I suppose to stick with just one brand of oil for 40 years?

There was a DOCUMENTED case where a fella that drove a mid-90's Chevrolet truck on a paper delivery route in Georgia, Tennessee and South Carolina made over a MILLION miles with no re-build or any engine repairs. Basically no repairs except for alternator, battery, starter.

He had the oil changed every 3,000 miles at a Pennzoil quick-lube place. He drove something like 500 miles a day, 5-6 days a week. The truck was about 7 years old and looked immaculant.

He said he took a whisk broom and swept the seats and floor at every fill-up. He kept a towel on the seat where he sat to prevent wear on the seat.

He had all the receipts for tires, brakes, oil changes, etc. Pennzoil Corp got word of the truck and eventually took it away from the guy and gave him a new truck.

They took the engine to Houston and tore it down. Said that the wear on the internals looked to be along the lines of 50,000 miles of wear.

I have Googled the thing and can't find it anymore. First time I read about it was 5-6 years ago.

http://list.priceweber.com/cummins/million_mile.html

Million-Mile Engine.

When Tom Olding purchased his 1995 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel,he wanted a vehicle that could go a lot of miles. After all, he was planning to use it to deliver Air Stream vehicles from Jackson Center, Ohio, to dealers across the country. Well, so far Olding’s Turbo Diesel has gone over a million miles – and it’s still going strong! "When I bought the truck, I’d heard a lot of good things about the Cummins engine and it just seemed like the best decision," Olding explains. "The truth is, you can’t beat this Cummins engine."

According to Olding, the mileage rolled over to all zeros on a trip to St. Louis. "I pulled over and took a photograph of the mileage gauge when it showed 999,999 because that’s sure not something you see very often," Olding recalls.

Other than routine maintenance, Olding’s Cummins Turbo Diesel has been virtually trouble-free. The engine still has the original injectors and turbo. He replaced the water pump at 700,000 miles (1,126,541 km). "I change the oil myself and I do that every 8,000 miles (12,875 km)," says Olding.

Olding tows Air Stream trailers weighing up to 9,600 pounds. So the truck has been working hard. He averages about 120,000 miles (193,122 km) a year, delivering trailers to all the contiguous states except Maine.

Along the way, Olding has taken the time to stop into Chrysler dealers across the country. "There are other Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel trucks with a lot of miles," says Olding. "So far, I haven’t heard of any others with over a million, but I’m thinking of starting a Million-Mile Club as soon as I hear of some others."

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/showthread.php?t=54841&highlight=million+miles

I have seen 2 first gen dodges in Redding that had 1 million and the other had 1.2 million on it. They delivered trailers all over the US, Canada, and Mexico.

[This is harder to verify]

Terry Binder of Pittsville, Wis just gave his 1989 Cummins Ram pickup to a friend with 1,780,000 miles on the clock. He gave it away and bought a new 2004 model because he says he likes the newer seats better.

Terry says he delivers flatbed trailers all around the US, so he's on the road much of the time. In the 15 years of use he's only had to replace two sets of ball joints and two exhaust systems. He replaces the brakes every 250,000 and the tires every 40,000.
Terry washes his truck several times a week because he thinks a clean truck "just runs better." In fact he says he probably could have bought a new truck for all the money he's spent on washing. But he seriously thinks it makes a big difference.

Most surprising of all was that he only changes the oil every 30,000 miles. "I use Mobile Delvac in all my tractors, my wife's Ford Taurus (240k miles) and even a push lawn mower I bought for $59 and haven't changed the oil in 22 years. It still starts on the first pull".

Terry's old truck has only a tiny bit of rust on the bed, otherwise looks brand new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back