Is this oil mineral or synthetic?

Note to moderator:
New to the forum. Please move if inappropriate here.

Hydrotreated heavy paraffinic oil: is this oil mineral or synthetic? If synthetic, which group?

Primary Chemical Name :
Primary Chemical Name is the standard name assigned to a chemical substance.
Distillates, petroleum, hydrotreated heavy paraffinic
Synonyms:
The EC Number, formerly known as the EINECS number is a unique 7-digit number (format: xxx-xxx-x) assigned to chemicals registered with the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA).
Mineral oil (3);Paraffinic petroleum oil;Hydrotreated petroleum distillate;Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy paraffinic;Mineral oil, petroleum distillates, hydrotreated (mild) heavy paraffinic;Mineral oil, petroleum distillates, hydrotreated (severe) heavy paraffinic

Mineral means petroleum-derived in this context. Virtually any oil is mineral oil. Exceptions are vegetable oil, PAO, POE, etc. You can exclude GTL as well. There is no difference between Group II and Group III except for the viscosity index (VI). They are produced by the same processes. Group I is true mineral oil, as it has the least amount of processing.

Here goes a noob question, is hydrotreated and hydrocracked two different entities?
They are the same. There is no difference between Group II and Group III other than the viscosity index (VI), which depends on the "severity" (resulting in higher VI) or "mildness" (resulting in lower VI) of the processing. See my post above.

Last edited:
They are the same. There is no difference between Group II and Group III other than the viscosity index (VI), which depends on the severity of the processing. See my post above.
So is it possible that anga's oil is a group 3 synthetic (since it says hydrotreated mineral oil)?

unlike germany a ruling in 1999 allowed highly refined CRUDE oils to be sold + marketed as synthetic!!! actually castrol was touting their syntec illegally IMO before the change when mobil was still a costlier real synthetic group IV oil, so today most everyones lower priced synthetics are mostly if not all group III oils forever clouding the definition of synthetic IMO

unlike germany a ruling in 1999 allowed highly refined CRUDE oils to be sold + marketed as synthetic!!! actually castrol was touting their syntec illegally IMO before the change when mobil was still a costlier real synthetic group IV oil, so most everyones lower priced synthetics are mostly if not all group III oils forever clouding the definition of synthetic IMO

unlike germany a ruling in 1999 allowed highly refined CRUDE oils to be sold + marketed as synthetic!!! actually castrol was touting their syntec illegally IMO before the change when mobil was still a costlier real synthetic group IV oil, so today most everyones lower priced synthetics are mostly if not all group III oils forever clouding the definition of synthetic IMO
OT: Except I expect most BITOG'rs would take a currently formulated Group III from late 2022 over a formulation with PAO from 1999.

"Chevy can't build an aluminum engine, just look @ the vega!!!"

Would that be group II or III ? or depends?
I haven't seen where hydrotreated has met the VI and saturates requirements for a Group III base stock. But if it did then it would qualify. Group designations I, II and III do not dictate composition (and neither does Group V really, other than to say anything but any of the other Groups).

Last edited:
Back