Is this gearbox oil leakage acceptable?

I had a look at the underside of my car for the first time myself (model year 2017, Opel Astra diesel with manual transmission)
Saw that the gearbox was covered in a thin layer of oil:

FYnKP0V.jpg

It is obvious that it is leaking/seeping oil. It is coming from the plug judging from the accumulation of the oil. Had a chat with the shop owner (he fixes Opel cars) who let me use his "vehicle well/trench" (don't know what it is called in English) He says the seepage is completely normal (at high RPMs gears cause high oil pressure)

am0Mj6AB_700w_0.jpg

Should I replace the plug/gasket or wherever the oil might seep from?

I also checked the plastic plate beneath the gearbox and it had one tiny drop of oil:

nuNpX4W.jpg

Bonus: a zoomed in view of the gearbox:

g75HqXz.jpg

Last edited:
Yes. Unless you're Jay Leno of course! :rolleyes: ^ "oops, gotta get that fixed" ( As he looks under his Simplex (only one left in the world))

Spray the transmission underneath with brake cleaner and wipe dry.

Check it a few thousand miles later.

If it still drips, and or if the plug has a crush or sealing washer on it, replace it.

With the airflow underneath, a pan gasket leaking somewhere else can also flow down.

(at high RPMs gears cause high oil pressure). No they don't.

I had a look at the underside of my car for the first time myself (model year 2017, Opel Astra diesel with manual transmission)
Saw that the gearbox was covered in a thin layer of oil:

FYnKP0V.jpg

It is obvious that it is leaking/seeping oil. It is coming from the plug judging from the accumulation of the oil. Had a chat with the shop owner (he fixes Opel cars) who let me use his "vehicle well/trench" (don't know what it is called in English) He says the seepage is completely normal (at high RPMs gears cause high oil pressure)

am0Mj6AB_700w_0.jpg

Should I replace the plug/gasket or wherever the oil might seep from?

I also checked the plastic plate beneath the gearbox and it had one tiny drop of oil:

nuNpX4W.jpg

Bonus: a zoomed in view of the gearbox:

g75HqXz.jpg
Don't ask the EPA. A friend of mine repairs large diesel trucks and had to go to a mandatory EPA class.
Someone asked how much how much is too much for an oil leak. The person running the class took a can of 3 in 1 oil and squeezed out a drop and said that is too much!!

Yes there's a film of oil but it doesn't seem to be dripping or actively leaking oil onto the ground. I would not worry about it since I'm sure you are checking the level regularly.

I was also thinking it might be leaking from elsewhere and the wind/air blowing past is spraying it all over.

I would wipe off any seeping oil, then add some Leak Detector Dye (oil base, not water) to the gearbox.
Checking with an Ultra-Violet Light will show exactly where the leak in coming from.

The Dye and UV Light can be bought at any car parts store for about $20.00 (US)

Back