Is this data sheet for GREEN GC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the spec sheet for UK flavour SLX, which is green.

It was updated earlier in this year: viscosity at 40C & 100C were 68.5 & 12.1 respectively.

quote:

Originally posted by Paranoil:
It's the spec sheet for UK flavour SLX, which is green.

It was updated earlier in this year: viscosity at 40C & 100C were 68.5 & 12.1 respectively.

Don't want to get you into trouble, but... what is the general consensus on SLX in U.K.?? I get the impression it is not quite as well received in OZ as it is in the US and Canada. Answer at your own risk, but I would seriously like to know the U.K. thoughts.

quote:

Don't want to get you into trouble, but... what is the general consensus on SLX in U.K.?? I get the impression it is not quite as well received in OZ as it is in the US and Canada. Answer at your own risk, but I would seriously like to know the U.K. thoughts. [/QB]

In all honesty I'm not really sure. I know it's widely accepted by those with with cars from the VAG empire (VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda) but not sure about anyone else.

There are two 'problems' with it though:

1) It's just about the most expensive (street car) oil you can buy over here. Only difficult to obtain oils, such as Redline, are more expensive.
2) There appears to still be some reluctance by the general motoring public to accept xW-30 oils, especially in high performace engines - it's the '30' rather than the '0W' that causes people concen. For example, there are many car manufacturers who's recommended grade is either 5W- or 10W-30 (Ford, GM, Nissan, Honda etc), yet many enthusiasts regard this as being too thin and instead use 0W- or 5W-40.
Mobile 1 0W-40 and Castrol RS 0W-40 probably being the most popular, possibly because they are also the most readily available.

quote:

from the VAG empire
"The VAG Empire" I LIKE THAT
 -
Yikes...maybe it is a little scary

"It's just about the most expensive (street car) oil you can buy over here."

To some extent that is a good thing, being that "usually" good things do cost more money.
smile.gif

quote:

1) It's just about the most expensive (street car) oil you can buy over here. Only difficult to obtain oils, such as Redline, are more expensive.
2) There appears to still be some reluctance by the general motoring public to accept xW-30 oils, especially in high performace engines

Same applies to Poland. Most people you ask will tell you that Xw-30 is like water and they'd never put it in their engines.
rolleyes.gif
On the Polish internet car forums they think I'm crazy for running it in a chipped turbo engine.

A few years ago over here there was also a big ruckus about SLX sludging up certain Toyota engines. At least that's how the news got spread through the grapevine. In the end, it turned out it was some manufacturing defect on those engines which along with poor fuel quality in Poland caused it, but at that point, the damage to SLX's reputation was already done. To recover from this fiasco, Castrol decided to reformulate the oil and started selling it under "SLX LongTec" name to differentiate it from the old SLX.

At this point it's still mostly a shop/dealer product. If you go for a scheduled maintenance to an Audi/VW or Toyota dealer, chances are they'll use SLX LongTec. Aside from that, due to price, most people don't buy it on their own. Besides, they prefer higher grades, so if the choice is betw. SLX and TWS (10w-60), and the price is about the same, they'll go for the latter. The "thicker is better" myth dies slowly, kind of like the "3K OCI" myth in the US.

Thanks for the info guys. Just wanted to get the Euro view. I didn't realize it would be more expensive than RS or Mobil 1.

Yea, I get whacked all the time also about the 0W-30 being too thin. Most of the public doesn't know about shear stability and HT/HS.

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
Yea, I get whacked all the time also about the 0W-30 being too thin. Most of the public doesn't know about shear stability and HT/HS.

-

I am a 0W-30 oil...I am powerful enough for the toughest conditions...lesser oils should be afraid...very, very afraid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back