Is this contaminated?

Ok, what can I do to get these numbers down?

First thing you need to do is to take another sample ( and always take samples from the same location under the same conditions) say in about 3k to start a comparison trend.

One sample taken with an unknown sampling protocol with an unknown baseline with an unknown wear condition of a machine should NOT be either a cause for concern or used to make decisions on.

Lets see what they trend

That sir makes a lot of sense, I intend to do this as an ongoing thing. I haven’t had the vehicle long and my main comcern was water.

Report says "Please check grade in use." Is this on all their reports, or is this statement for you/your model/sample specifically?

I asked them this and they said that viscosity shows 74.3 at 40 degrees which is correct for a 5w40 which is what mine is,

This is totally a high performance engine. The MB motor oil looks pretty good with a fairly high zinc and moly concentrations. I don’t think it’s contamination. My used oil has colour swirls in it as well.

1F983B6E-DAE9-4608-945A-60A756D4D6FD.png

What year is your CL63? I believe the OP is basically asking about the head bolts. They were suspect until they were replaced by a new design sometime in 2011. Of course when the head bolts went, you blew the head gasket and the coolant in the engine blew it so you had to get a new engine. If you catch it early enough, you could just do the head gasket or just replace the head bolts in advance. In addition to the head bolts, the M156 engine has a few other issues as well. Not all engines with the bad head bolts went bad.

If that is the factory fill with 3000 miles on it (first oil change like the OP might be eluding to?), then it looks pretty normal. Break in metals in the oil that can't be filtered out by the filter will look similar to that photo.
Hence why all new vehicles should dump factory oil at around 500mi. Almost all the shed metals will be in the oil by about 500mi.

Back