Is this an issue with cartridge filters (fitment)

wemay

Site Donor 2023
The Passat is my first go around with a cartridge filter an i've never experienced fitment issues with spin on's. During my recent oil change i purchased a NapaGold 100024 (made by Mann Hummel). The filter looked well made, but when i tried to fit it over the valve in the bottom half of the housing after seating it in the cap, it wouldn't fit unless i applied excessive pressure. The factory filter was much easier. I removed the NG because it bothered me last night, and put in an OEM 06K-115-562

Is this a one-off or is this a real issue with aftermarket cartridge filters to some extent?

Capture.PNG

Did you lube the o-rings on the inside top and bottom of the Wix?

Those O-rings make the seal, vs a pressure seal made with the housing and the top and bottom of the Mann. They are usually a little tight. I don't think there was any issue with your filter. I used that style on my BMW and GTI and results are similar. It's just a different way of making the seal, and I personally like it as it means there can be a bit of manufacturing variance in the total length of the filter and it will still seal the dirty oil from the filtered oil.

We're put off by the plastic oil filter cartridge that's now used for 1.6 Ltr. Kia Rio and Hyundai Accent plus the Venue . The engine is redesigned . Hopefully , not for the worse .

Originally Posted by wemay
Is this a one-off or is this a real issue with aftermarket cartridge filters to some extent?

Aftermarket filters for German cars have been a hit or miss in general. Too many horror stories for me to NEVER consider one. OEM only. Most OEM cartridge filters for German cars don't cost any more than aftermarket ones, so I see no good reason to use aftermarket ones.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

Aftermarket filters for German cars have been a hit or miss in general. Too many horror stories for me to NEVER consider one. OEM only. Most OEM cartridge filters for German cars don't cost any more than aftermarket ones, so I see no good reason to use aftermarket ones.

Agreed.

@drtyler - that may just be it. I did not lube the o-ring because well, i just never knew it needed to be.
@Quattro Pete - I may go this route.

The Passat is my first go around with a cartridge filter an i've never experienced fitment issues with spin on's. During my recent oil change i purchased a NapaGold 100024 (made by Mann Hummel). The filter looked well made, but when i tried to fit it over the valve in the bottom half of the housing after seating it in the cap, it wouldn't fit unless i applied excessive pressure. The factory filter was much easier. I removed the NG because it bothered me last night, and put in an OEM 06K-115-562

The Napa 100024 crosses to a Purolator L28161. Fits an 18 Passat 2.0.
The 19 Passat 2.0 uses a different part# . The best I can find is a Service Champ WP1078.
The NAPA filter lookup calls for the 100024 on the 19 Passat.
Purolator calls for the L28161 and L21478 for the 19 Passat.
Looks like a change of filter midway thru production.

I had issues(filter twisting) with after market cartridge filters in my 2007 Fusion. I settled with MC filters for that engine and all have been well since.

Originally Posted by drtyler
Did you lube the o-rings on the inside top and bottom of the Wix?

Those O-rings make the seal, vs a pressure seal made with the housing and the top and bottom of the Mann. They are usually a little tight. I don't think there was any issue with your filter. I used that style on my BMW and GTI and results are similar. It's just a different way of making the seal, and I personally like it as it means there can be a bit of manufacturing variance in the total length of the filter and it will still seal the dirty oil from the filtered oil.

Good to know when I do my first change. Doubt I'd have thought to lube those 0-rings either. I do have a Mann filter, for what thats worth.

I think there are 3 different size elements for the Toyota canister filters.
I mistakenly bought filters that will sit on my shelf for a loooong time.

Those two filters are physically the same size. The difference is the media. Mann recently replaced the HU6002z with the HU6013z. The media in the newer filters is white and appears very similar to the Purolator Boss media. The VW filters I have purchased still use the older cellulose media, similar to the HU6002z.

And those two Purolator numbers are reboxed Mann. L28161 is the Mann HU6002z, and PL21478 is the newer HU6013z.

The Purolator lookup at their website shows both of the mentioned filter numbers as applicable for the 2019 Passat 2.0.

Originally Posted by Ursatdx

The Napa 100024 crosses to a Purolator L28161. Fits an 18 Passat 2.0.
The 19 Passat 2.0 uses a different part# . The best I can find is a Service Champ WP1078.
The NAPA filter lookup calls for the 100024 on the 19 Passat.
Purolator calls for the L28161 and L21478 for the 19 Passat.
Looks like a change of filter midway thru production.

We use Auto Extra variant of NAPA gold and no issues. Did 3 VW Golf wagons and a Passat today; all used auto extra and no issues.
21.gif

Thanks 53'. I'll keep that in mind. It may have been a one off.

All good Wemay. I note the Auto Extra have plastic ends on them. Work well so far. We used to buy MANN in green and yellow box filters in huge bulk amounts. Worked well too

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

Agreed. A few years ago I was going to change the oil in an M54 and I decided to check out the filters at AutoZone in hopes of saving time. The STP filter I found at AutoZone was made in some Third-World country and cost $5.00 more than the OEM German BMW filter.

Back