Is this a VW owners manual misprint concerning oil usage?

From the 2019 Jetta owners manual I'm reading online:

Volkswagen recommends that you to check the engine oil level at regular intervals, preferably every time you fill the fuel tank, and always before a long trip. Your vehicle may consume engine oil depending on several variables. A maximum of 1 quart per 1200 miles (1 liter per 2000 km) would be considered normal. New vehicles may consume more oil over the first 3000 miles (5000 km).

That would be over 8 quarts in a 10,000 mile oil change interval. Can this be accurate?

I've seen numbers for what many would consider "crazy" oil usage that the automaker allows and German automakers typically seem to be on the higher end... 🤷‍♂️

It's common, many manufacturers have decided what I would consider alarming consumption is "normal". That said, it is unlikely your VW will use much oil at all, although since it is spec'd for 0w20 it will probably use some.

The manual for my 04 says something similar I believe. Though it doesn't actually consume anything noticable. Even on a 5k round trip to the east coast where it was turning 3400rpm on the freeway most of the time.

How many owners actually read this and know this? Most people don't check the dipstick, they say that's what the oil light is for.

One of the girls I used to work with had one of those Jeeps with the 4 cyl. Never checked the oil or fluid levels. When she got all sorts of warning lights and scares from the dealer, she panicked. She got rid of the Jeep and went to a Hyundai Kona. Many people will never learn. They think new cars have zero issues.

Thanks for the replies. I was watching an oil change video on Youtube for a 2020 Jetta and the girl stated what I had posted about 1 quart every 1,200 miles be normal. I left a comment saying no way. But it appears VW has been saying this for a while. If I had a car that used, not leaked a quart every 1,200 miles, I'd probably never change it.

For the 1.4l with a capacity of four liters, that like two complete oil changes every 10,000 miles. 😂

Been that way since we had our 2000 MK4 Jetta.

Audi R8 manual "1 quart per 600 miles (0.8 liter/1,000 km)"

The reality is the car has consumed less than half a quart over the last 3,000 miles

My 2015 manual says the same thing.
In my 9 oil changes since purchase it didn't use any oil at all.
I use Mityvac 7201 extractor to get the oil out.
I drew the line with sharpie on canister at 6 quarts (1.8 TSI oil capacity)
Every oil change I get the same amount out what I put in during last oil change.

TBH, awhile back in another forum discussion on VW oil consumption, I compared my 2007 GTI’s US manual with a Euro one of the same year. Mine doesn’t have a mileage/oil consumption disclaimer in it but their’s does. I’m no expert on worldwide owner’s manual discrepancies but still found this odd. Almost as if maybe VW had a bunch of oil consumption claims and the disclaimer was a way to stop them. IDK. I’m lucky that my 2.0T fsi doesn’t have a large consumption problem. I think it’s kind of absurd for a new car to be considered within normal consumption range of 1 qt/1,200 miles.

TBH, awhile back in another forum discussion on VW oil consumption, I compared my 2007 GTI’s US manual with a Euro one of the same year. Mine doesn’t have a mileage/oil consumption disclaimer in it but their’s does. I’m no expert on worldwide owner’s manual discrepancies but still found this odd. Almost as if maybe VW had a bunch of oil consumption claims and the disclaimer was a way to stop them. IDK. I’m lucky that my 2.0T fsi doesn’t have a large consumption problem. I think it’s kind of absurd for a new car to be considered within normal consumption range of 1 qt/1,200 miles.
In Europe that was across the board in 90's. Not just VW. It started with dramatic downsizing of engines which hit Europe far earlier than US.

The old BMW 4 bangers were notorious oil burners, after a long Autobahn drive the things would be smoking like my mothers old frying pan for a short time.

The old BMW 4 bangers were notorious oil burners, after a long Autobahn drive the things would be smoking like my mothers old frying pan for a short time.
LOL, true. I had 318 with M10. But also it depended on oil one used. In 1990's Castrol had that so called "Black Castrol" 15W40 in black plastic containers. That thing was sooooo good I think people were using instead of Robitussin. Very, very little burn with that thing.

Back