Is this a valid reason to fire/give an employee a warning?

Both of their badges allow them to get into that room. But, for some reason, it wasn't working today.
I got it. You've never worked in a secured space. Truly secure.

You never, ever, badge someone else into a space on your badge.

You call, and you wait, to be allowed in.

Letting someone else in on your badge gets you fired.

It doesn't matter if their badge used to work, or if they work in that space. Let HR/security manager/whoever handles access do their job.

If you let them in, you get fired. You have signed paperwork to that effect. That's how security is enforced. If a sailor allowed a fellow sailor into a classified space, both sailors could be fired*.

*Navy equivalent: fined, reduced in rank, and/or kicked out of the Navy. Depends on the circumstances, but career over. No appeal. No discussion.

If someone knocks on a door twice( after waiting a few minutes after the first knock) and nobody answers. My first assumption is the door is probably jammed(the badge didn't work either).
If I need to knock on a door to get access, and nobody comes, I don't think "the door is jammed, better start shoving." I might if the door is one I usually have access to and suddenly it's not working, but not if I expect someone to have to open the door for me.

I suspect there is an element of "HEY, OPEN THE GOT DANGED DOOR HR FAT ASS!" at play.

I've got no clue. I dont think it's a security thing. It's not like anyone can enter that building. Only people whose badge allows them to unlock the front door can.
It could be security. Where I work, you're not allowed to hold the door to let others in. Each person needs to swipe in (and out), due to security and accountability

I got it. You've never worked in a secured space. Truly secure.

You never, ever, badge someone else into a space on your badge.

You call, and you wait, to be allowed in.

Letting someone else in on your badge gets you fired.

It doesn't matter if their badge used to work, or if they work in that space. Let HR/security manager/whoever handles access do their job.

If you let them in, you get fired. You have signed paperwork to that effect. That's how security is enforced. If a sailor allowed a fellow sailor into a classified space, both sailors could be fired*.

*Navy equivalent: fined, reduced in rank, and/or kicked out of the Navy. Depends on the circumstances, but career over. No appeal. No discussion.
Yeah, I've never worked at a secured space. So, I've got 0 clue on how that works

Until your friend sees the paper with the issue written on it, everything here is only speculation.

But as said, if it is a secure space (which having to badge in seems to indicate), then allowing, or even attempting to allow, someone else into that area can be an offence. Trying to force a door into a secure area could also be seen as an offense.
Or it could be something else unrelated to this event.

Yup! That’s how it was when I worked at the Airport - and that was before 9/11!
I didn't know letting someone else in with your badge after 9/11 could get you fired. I've worked at two dealerships. At one dealership, we used a card to clock in and out. At the other dealership, I worked for we had a clock in/out number. Never have I had a badge that lets you in and out of other doors and whatnot.

I didn't know letting someone else in with your badge after 9/11 could get you fired. I've worked at two dealerships. At one dealership, we used a card to clock in and out. At the other dealership, I worked for we had a clock in/out number. Never have I had a badge that lets you in and out of other doors and whatnot.
I said Airport. But in general, I would fire anyone doing it anywhere. Period.

If he's going to make comments about other employees like that and have an attitude that "HR dOeSn'T lIkE mE CuZ i MaKe MoRe MoNeY tHaN tHeM", he sounds like an idiot and should find a job elsewhere anyways.
Not necessarily. I've had HR tell me point blank "You already make "XXX", you want more?" and then literally straight up LIE to me about what I can/cannot do with my benefits package (at the time).

Yes, it can. Technically. Badge access is serious business on a technical level, same as passwords, etc.

Let’s be clear here. Nobody was let in anywhere, unless HR let them in. Trying a badge to try to open a door is not the same as letting somebody in.

When I worked for Frontier Airlines I had a separate CIDA badge for DIA. It HAD to be displayed and easily seen. If someone wasn't wearing a badge and you didn't say anything you could get written up and lose your badge.

Back