Is this a valid reason to fire/give an employee a warning?

One of my close friends works at an injection molding company. One of my friends' coworkers needed to talk to HR and his badge (used to open company doors) wasn't working. So, my friend used his badge to open the door and it still wasn't opening (some people that work at the company have access to the HRs front door. They're two doors. One door the one my friend and his coworker were trying to open and there's another one only the HR can open from the inside of the room). The main door wasn't opening with my friend's badge either. My friend said he knocked on the door twice and nobody opened it. So, his initial thought was maybe the door is jammed. So, he kinda pushed the door. What he didn't know was that the HR was in the room but the HR was sitting in an area where nobody could really see him. So, the HR got up when he realized someone was at the door and opened it. Later in the day, the supervisor walked up to my friend and told him HR went to the company manager and basically complained (HR doesn't like my friend because my friend makes more money than him per his supervisors). He also told my friend that he might have to sign a warning paper tomorrow morning. I dont understand what my friend did? Pushed a door because he thought it was stuck and the lazy HR couldn't get his ass up to open the door on the first knock? My friend has been working for that company for 5 years now. He's afraid he might get fired. HR isn't supposed to lock doors unless they're on break. My friend doesn't know when HR is on break or not.

Last edited:
That's one side of the story.
Tread carefully in giving any advice to your friend.
Idk what to tell him. He's asking me if he should sign the warning paper. I would ask HR what I did and why I am receiving this? Also, I would talk to the company manager.

If he's going to make comments about other employees like that and have an attitude that "HR dOeSn'T lIkE mE CuZ i MaKe MoRe MoNeY tHaN tHeM", he sounds like an idiot and should find a job elsewhere anyways.
My friend doesn't even know himself if he makes more money than HR. That's just what his supervisors told him.

Later in the day, the supervisor walked up to my friend and told him HR went to the company manager and basically snitched (HR doesn't like my friend because my friend makes more money than him). He also told my friend that he might have to sign a warning paper tomorrow morning. I dont understand what my friend did? Pushed a door because he thought it was stuck and the lazy HR couldn't get his ass up to open the door on the first knock? My friend has been working for that company for 5 years now. He's afraid he might get fired.
Grow up. Act like an adult. Expect the same from others.

That you would portray the actions of adults in the manner that children act is telling.

HR didn't 'snitch'. The HR guy is an adult and he reported what occurred from his perspective.

Who are you to take offense that the HR guy didn't answer the door for your friend at the first knock?

Grow up. Act like an adult. Expect the same from others.

That you would portray the actions of adults in the manner that children act is telling.

HR didn't 'snitch'. The HR guy is an adult and he reported what occurred from his perspective.

Who are you to take offense that the HR guy didn't answer the door for your friend at the first knock?
If someone knocks on a door twice( after waiting a few minutes after the first knock) and nobody answers. My first assumption is the door is probably jammed(the badge didn't work either).

What company policy did your friend violate? If the HR person cannot prove your friend violated company policy, then the warning is not justified.
I've got no clue. I dont think it's a security thing. It's not like anyone can enter that building. Only people whose badge allows them to unlock the front door can.

I've got no clue. I dont think it's a security thing. It's not like anyone can enter that building. Only people whose badge allows them to unlock the front door can.
It most certainly is a security thing.

Where I work, if you use your badge to allow someone else in to the building, you are subject to immediate firing.

It's a security thing. They are serious. They have cameras. They watch. The Federal Government looks over their shoulder.

HR isn't supposed to lock doors unless they're on break. My friend doesn't know when HR is on break or not.

It most certainly is a security thing.

Where I work, if you use your badge to allow someone else in to the building, you are subject to immediate firing.

It's a security thing. They are serious. They have cameras. They watch. The Federal Government looks over their shoulder.
Both of their badges allow them to get into that room. But, for some reason, it wasn't working today.

If it were me I would write my side of the story on the "warning" so at least it was down somewhere. I have had to do that before and usually after hearing my side and probably assuming truth is in the middle, my manager at the time tossed the warning.

Don’t sign any papers, that is what my dad always tells me. As for if it’s a valid reason it was a security issue so probably yes. In my state it’s right to work so they don’t even have to have a reason to fire you. So depending on your state law too.

If it were me I would write my side of the story on the "warning" so at least it was down somewhere. I have had to do that before and usually after hearing my side and probably assuming truth is in the middle, my manager at the time tossed the warning.
Should he sign the waring paper though?

Back