Is this a thing now, or just an isolated nut job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on a two-lane country road. It's night. I'm going 60mph. This road has a speed limit of 55, it has some curves and is double yellow line the whole way. There is no one else around until I see a vehicle rapidly closing on my rear. He gets to about 150 feet away then his lights go out. I'm certain what is about to happen. Sure enough he's moved to the opposite lane and blows past me doing at least 90, still with lights out. It's some nondescript gray SUV. Quite a long ways in front he turns his lights back on.

What was the point of turning the lights out? It isn't making either of us any safer is it?

Many years ago the kids in my home area used to let some air out of their tires and put their cars on the railway track, turn their lights out and go for a fast drive down the railway track. This was before daylight running lights so they were completely dark.

One night the kids in the number 2 car didn't get going fast enough, so the kids in the number 1 car went back to find out if there was a problem. Two cars on the railway track heading in opposite directions, with their lights out. What could possibly go wrong?

Quite a lot actually. I don't remember the outcome exactly but it included deaths.

Driving at night with your lights out (on the railway track or elsewhere) is just plain dumb.

Many years ago the kids in my home area used to let some air out of their tires and put their cars on the railway track, turn their lights out and go for a fast drive down the railway track. This was before daylight running lights so they were completely dark.

One night the kids in the number 2 car didn't get going fast enough, so the kids in the number 1 car went back to find out if there was a problem. Two cars on the railway track heading in opposite directions, with their lights out. What could possibly go wrong?

Quite a lot actually. I don't remember the outcome exactly but it included deaths.

Driving at night with your lights out (on the railway track or elsewhere) is just plain dumb.

Darwin award winners that group.

Many years ago I flashed an oncoming car to dim their high beams only to see them turn off all their lights. Gave me a sudden thought that they might try to veer over on me. Yeah I pulled off pretty quick.

Sounds like someone didn't see the one way sign.

I'm going with nutjob and/or substances involved.

It's also possible they were just messing with you. Some people like to mess with others, get the upper hand and all.

I'd shrug it off, unless if it becomes some sort of pattern.

I'm on a two-lane country road. It's night. I'm going 60mph. This road has a speed limit of 55, it has some curves and is double yellow line the whole way. There is no one else around until I see a vehicle rapidly closing on my rear. He gets to about 150 feet away then his lights go out. I'm certain what is about to happen. Sure enough he's moved to the opposite lane and blows past me doing at least 90, still with lights out. It's some nondescript gray SUV. Quite a long ways in front he turns his lights back on.

What was the point of turning the lights out? It isn't making either of us any safer is it?
A little off topic but have you seen drivers flick their highs when passing?

After he passed of course I could see the back of his car with my lights. I don't think he had a license plate. If you drive that way why even bother with a license.

I'm not upset about it, if you want to pass me go ahead and put your blinker on and do it. I'd much rather have him in front where I can see him.

Not exactly isolated. The gap between the slow pokes and the maniacs has broadened. On the slow side, a lot of people who took themselves out of circulation for Covid seemed to have forgotten what it takes to drive on a freeway. On a daily basis, I have to slow down, and pull out into faster moving traffic lanes to get around someone who has a death grip on the wheel, going 50 in a 70, with football fields of space ahead of them. On the other side, I see the maniacs bobbing and weaving trying to get out from behind the scaredy cats, driving in the emergency lanes, running over the "sticks" that separate the highway from the HOV lanes (which are stupid and shouldn't be there anyway). The accident severity and number of cars involved is worsening. What am I seeing the most of? Older compact cars with their trunks shoved into the back seats. I don't advocate lunacy, but the folks that want to get on the Dallas highways and travel 20-30mph slower than everyone else need to take the frontage roads, or take the bus. The frantic, hurried people need to stop with the darting and weaving. That latte will still be there when you get to Starbucks.

Not exactly isolated. The gap between the slow pokes and the maniacs has broadened. On the slow side, a lot of people who took themselves out of circulation for Covid seemed to have forgotten what it takes to drive on a freeway.
So I'm not the only one who has noticed this, that's reassuring. Been making me crazy the last week or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back