Is this a sign of Power Steering Pump going bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is end to end shaft & Pulley slack the start of problems? I notice some the shaft had some END to END movement while changing the serpentine belt on my wife’s 2003 Toyota Sequoia. Seems the shaft and pulley will move in and out a small amount.
The pulley turns by hand very smooth, no noises and no leaks. I changed the belt due to some cracks on the groove area of the belt. The new belt is quieter.
Should I get ready to change the pump soon?
confused.gif

its not a turbo, its just a power steering pump that runs at nearly the engine speed. atleast on my car anyways.

dont worry about it unless its leaking or making noise.

Does the pully/shaft move in and out while running?
If not, I say, leave it. Check it occasionally for leaks and noise; replace when either of those are present.
My 2¢

There is a suprising amount of play in this direction - same for new pulleys and sometimes water pumps.
Keep an eye out for leaks and noises in the future. But that is something that you'd do amnyway.

SUPRISING amount of movement is exactly what I notice.
Thank you for information and all the other comments and things to look out for.
I am going to run it and watch closer for leaks etc.

heh heh, the PS pump on my 88 528e has had a death rattle for over a decade. I keep waiting for it to die but it just keeps on going.

I think a sign of a PS pump going bad would be like my car, where I can be turning, and then the power steering cuts out completely.

Another would be like my friends car, that completely burst when he was making a turn.

The new Goodyear Gator Back belt has been on approx 2 weeks. No noise. The old belt was the noise maker and NOT the P/S pump as I suspected.

Thanks for all the advice & comments. The comments that the pulleys can have some IN-OUT movement really eased my old mind. Thanks!
thumbsup.gif

Mine (99 4Runner)has no play, but has started making serious grumbling noises, directly related to engine speed and turning angle. Just trying to get a few more days and leave it in the shop while I travel by plane to go work on my Corvair.
I would have thought I'd get more than 70,000 miles out of it, but since all my driving includes hairpin curves every 100 yards, I've already replaced much of the steering, including the bushings on the rack. Upper 2/3 of the steering wheel has all the texture worn off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back