Is this a new low from insurance companies ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TheOnlySarge
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
And why is the airline held financially responsible for being shot down by lunatics?

Was it responsible for a commercial passenger flight to go over a known war torn area???

I suspect it saved them $5000 in fuel, that the CEO could recoup as a bonus.

The airline flight path/route is controlled by the government agencies whose airspace they are in. The airline has little to no variables to those approved directions. If the CEO is doing his/her job and making money for his/her shareholders you bet they deserve a bonus.
But I understand the "I am a victim somebody pay me" mentality poisons the entire environment these days.

Exactly, the government of the country the plane is flying over sets the allowable flightpaths. So unless the plane deviated and THAT is why it was shot down the airline is not at fault. As long as they were on the directed/approved flightpath they were flying where they were supposed to and a terrorist shot them down. Not the airline's fault in any way shape or form.

As far as flying over a country at war. The passengers have to accept responsibility for knowing where the plane they are boarding will go. If you are going to travel the world be prepared to go into/over dangerous areas. The world is not a safe place. You couldn't pay me to leave the country in today's world. Dangerous enough here without going places where it is worse.

I feel awful for anyone who lost family in that tragedy but the airline is in no way at fault or liable IMO unless, as said, they had deviated from the approved flightpath. If not blame the guy who shot it down not the airline.

Quote:
Is this a new low from insurance companies ?

Of course not.

If Dutch law controls, and Dutch law is the problem, they need to take that up with their government.

The whole point of having laws is so everyone knows the rules and plans accordingly.

And why is the airline held financially responsible for being shot down by lunatics?

Corrected:
And why is the airline held financially responsible for being shot down by Russians?

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Terrorists planted a bomb in the park I was sunbathing in.... the CITY who owns the park should pay me 1,000,000....

Umm NO.
How is it the cities fault?

How is it the airlines fault?

Maybe if Obama wasn't such a pansy Russia could be pressured into not being Jack donkeys

Ummm, likewise you blame POTUS for a Russian whacko's response.

But wait, if you believe the conspiracy theory that the Ukraine internal conflicts were started by CIA and forced Russia to take back Crimea by military coup, then yes, you can blame POTUS for that. I'm not sure that's your original though however.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Exactly, the government of the country the plane is flying over sets the allowable flightpaths. So unless the plane deviated and THAT is why it was shot down the airline is not at fault. As long as they were on the directed/approved flightpath they were flying where they were supposed to and a terrorist shot them down. Not the airline's fault in any way shape or form.

As far as flying over a country at war. The passengers have to accept responsibility for knowing where the plane they are boarding will go. If you are going to travel the world be prepared to go into/over dangerous areas. The world is not a safe place. You couldn't pay me to leave the country in today's world. Dangerous enough here without going places where it is worse.

I feel awful for anyone who lost family in that tragedy but the airline is in no way at fault or liable IMO unless, as said, they had deviated from the approved flightpath. If not blame the guy who shot it down not the airline.

Negative. The Montreal Convention international treaty of 1999 established that airlines are in fact liable for airline crash deaths, even if due to an act of war.

They can cite as much Dutch Law as they want, but they are held liable by an international treaty that Malaysia signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back