Is this a new low from insurance companies ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Dozens of families of those killed when a missile shot down Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 over Ukraine two years ago are considering suing the carrier for compensation, their lawyer told AFP Tuesday.

All 298 passengers and crew -- the majority of them Dutch -- died when the Boeing 777 was hit by a Russian-made BUK anti-aircraft missile over war-torn eastern Ukraine on July 17, 2014.

"We are still negotiating the case. But the offers that Malaysia Airlines are making are almost offensive for our clients," lawyer Veeru Mewa told AFP.

Quote:
Mewa said the airlines' insurers were "taking advantage of Dutch law" under which if someone dies in an accident then you can only claim "compensation for the funeral costs."

"According to international standards that would mean a Dutch life is worth less than any other life,"
he said.

The lawsuit, if it is filed, would seek damages for the loss of earnings as well as compensation for the "psychological" trauma of those who lost loved ones.

The legal team was also thinking of holding Malaysia Airlines "liable for flying over Ukraine" which was in the middle of a conflict with government forces fighting pro-Russian rebels.

Quote:
Many "families are struggling with real traumatic bereavement, real post-traumatic stress syndrome because of the images, seeing rebels walking on the gravesite, and not being able to go there, knowing that the Dutch government was not there to collect the bodies for quite a while," Mewa said.

They just want "a just" settlement, and the offer so far on the table did not give them "satisfaction," he added.

"Malaysia Airlines, immediately after the crash said that they will take responsibility and take care of the families. And the offers they are making is not suggesting that."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mh17-families-mulling-lawsuit-against-malaysia-airlines-154733085.html

If Malaysia Airlines' insurance companies offer $1 million US dollars to each victim's family they probably would accept it, but just the funeral costs of around few thousands ?

Originally Posted By: TheOnlySarge
And why is the airline held financially responsible for being shot down by lunatics?

Great point!

Not a single payment for a lunatic act should be charged to the Airlines.

Rather it should come from the LCA (Lunatic Compensation Account) an global account which I believe should be created, into which airlines are required to place an benevolent amount per person for statistically likely casualties per year. When that account reaches a balance of 300% of the statistically likely casualties of lunatic acts, then the overage should be placed into pilot salaries as a yearly bonus worldwide.

And why is the airline held financially responsible for being shot down by lunatics?

Was it responsible for a commercial passenger flight to go over a known war torn area???

I suspect it saved them $5000 in fuel, that the CEO could recoup as a bonus.

If the airlines insurer is willing to pay for funeral costs, I hope each passenger that was killed had a $5,000,000 funeral.

From my understanding insurance specifically reject war related damage in their coverage. This is a missile shot, so anything goes.

Regarding to why they fly over a war zone, it may be because every other airplane flied over that area, and they had only land conflicts (tanks, infantries, etc) until then.

I would think the airline bears responsibility because they flew the plane over a war zone, after warnings were out that it was not recommended.

You don't only blame the wasps, when you poke a stick into their nest.

A Russian soldier fired that missile. Perhaps Russia should be paying up. But as you and I know, Russia is ran by a bunch of thugs who will not even respond to these types of request. Not even a sorry from those folks.

Flying over a war zone is totally the airline's fault. They should have to pay a reasonable amount to each victim's family. Reasonable defined as more than $500,000 but less than $10 million.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Was it responsible for a commercial passenger flight to go over a known war torn area???

I suspect it saved them $5000 in fuel, that the CEO could recoup as a bonus.

The airline flight path/route is controlled by the government agencies whose airspace they are in. The airline has little to no variables to those approved directions. If the CEO is doing his/her job and making money for his/her shareholders you bet they deserve a bonus.
But I understand the "I am a victim somebody pay me" mentality poisons the entire environment these days.

The airline flight path/route is controlled by the government agencies whose airspace they are in. The airline has little to no variables to those approved directions. If the CEO is doing his/her job and making money for his/her shareholders you bet they deserve a bonus.
But I understand the "I am a victim somebody pay me" mentality poisons the entire environment these days.

The paying flyers were the real victims in this case.

It's reasonable for anyone to expect to arrive safely when he/she boarded an airplane anywhere.

And that is why many buy flyers insurance themselves before boarding. Cost about $10 bucks.
Dont misunderstand my position here....I am sympathetic to the plight of those unfortunate souls lost....and their families......I am equally sympathetic to the airline.
Lawyers gonna sue anybody and everybody just chasing money. Any money from anywhere they can. Fault be [censored].

And that is why many buy flyers insurance themselves before boarding. Cost about $10 bucks.
Dont misunderstand my position here....I am sympathetic to the plight of those unfortunate souls lost....and their families......I am equally sympathetic to the airline.
Lawyers gonna sue anybody and everybody just chasing money. Any money from anywhere they can. Fault be [censored].

I don't think it is just chasing money, fault be [censored], when there are actual losses involved. The people on the airplane had families that depended on them.

And.....Given that it is insurance companies that are fighting the claims, based on it being a war zone.....What make you think those $10 premium flyer insurance claims would be honored? I'll bet they have a war zone exclusion, as well.

Majority of 298 victims were Dutch, they weren't known to be suing happy. So far no lawsuit had been filled, they are not like us and our lawyers.

I think if each victim's family had been offered between $500k to $1 mil(US dollar) they would accept it, but offered an equivalent to funeral cost of few thousands dollar is insulting.

Terrorists planted a bomb in the park I was sunbathing in.... the CITY who owns the park should pay me 1,000,000....

Umm NO.
How is it the cities fault?

How is it the airlines fault?

Maybe if Obama wasn't such a pansy Russia could be pressured into not being Jack donkeys

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Terrorists planted a bomb in the park I was sunbathing in.... the CITY who owns the park should pay me 1,000,000....

Umm NO.

Maybe if Obama wasn't such a pansy Russia could be pressured into not being Jack donkeys

The airline chose to fly over a known conflict area.

I'm not sure what further "pressure" you would have Obama apply.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86

Umm NO.

Someone is clearly not aware of the amounts of money aid to victims and families of 9/11 victims.

There hasn't been one US President capable of reigning in Russia's bad behavior. Russia has been pulling this nonsense for 1000 years, and they aren't going to stop now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back