Is this a legit website or a virus download?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While searching on Google, one result got me to this page,

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

I just hit the back button, but is this a legitimate site? I can imagine if you click "ALLOW" or even "BLOCK" it downloads something unwelcome on your computer. Why would a legitimate website even ask you this?

Click Allow to prove you aren't a robot is not anything a legitimate site would do, it's a trick to get past your permissions. Most likely adware since it's asking to allow notifications. The notifications might then have malicious links in them as well.

It looks like you are running Windows 7 with MSE, not the most secure setup in the world, so taking a gamble with less-than-authentic appearing websites probably isn't something you want to be doing, FYI. You should also be running Adblock Plus on Chrome at minimum, or just switch to Brave.

Originally Posted by Kira
Is "Brave" the entire name?

I ask because I'm buying a new computer soon and I want to ad protection.

FYI, "Brave" is Google Chrome with ad-blockers pre-loaded. Companies come along all the time and take Chrome, Firefox, Opera and "make them better", or claim to, but they typically don't stick around long.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
It looks like you are running Windows 7 with MSE, not the most secure setup in the world, so taking a gamble with less-than-authentic appearing websites probably isn't something you want to be doing, FYI. You should also be running Adblock Plus on Chrome at minimum, or just switch to Brave.

"Like"

FWIW, many websites (well-known and legitimate sites too) ask to send you notifications via your web browser. I've never allowed any so I don't know what they do or would "notify" me about.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

FYI, "Brave" is Google Chrome with ad-blockers pre-loaded. Companies come along all the time and take Chrome, Firefox, Opera and "make them better", or claim to, but they typically don't stick around long.

Yup, there are a TON of them. Brave appears to be sticking around at this juncture however, and their spin on Chrome is a solid recommendation for people like the OP that may not know what extensions/plug-ins to add that are appropriate.

Yup, there are a TON of them. Brave appears to be sticking around at this juncture however, and their spin on Chrome is a solid recommendation for people like the OP that may not know what extensions/plug-ins to add that are appropriate.

Sadly, I'll bet that 90% of internet users don't have a clue what browser extensions are and then many of them will have "search bar add-ons" that they had installed inadvertently or installed because someone convinced them to in order to help some charity or similar.

Looking at Brave, at least according to Wikipedia, they survive on money invested in them and, get this..... run their own ad network !

It's a spin on **Chromium**, not Chrome. Chrome itself is Google's dressed-up and modified Chromium, as are Brave, the new MS Edge, Opera etc.

Chromium is the open-source browser atop which you can make your own modifications, **Chrome is not**.

Originally Posted by atikovi
While searching on Google, one result got me to this page,

I just hit the back button, but is this a legitimate site? I can imagine if you click "ALLOW" or even "BLOCK" it downloads something unwelcome on your computer. Why would a legitimate website even ask you this?

A legitimate site will NOT ask you to allow notifications "to prove you're not a robot"; and that URL seems pretty greasy.

Sadly, I'll bet that 90% of internet users don't have a clue what browser extensions are and then many of them will have "search bar add-ons" that they had installed inadvertently or installed because someone convinced them to in order to help some charity or similar.

Looking at Brave, at least according to Wikipedia, they survive on money invested in them and, get this..... run their own ad network !

Yes, their model is... weird. They take money from advertisers to circumvent their built-in ad blocker and then have the Basic Attention Token https://basicattentiontoken.org/

What I like, though, about some of these non-Chrome browsers is that their *mobile* versions feature their built-in ad-blockers (and/ or browser extensions); Chrome does not.

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more

It's a spin on **Chromium**, not Chrome. Chrome itself is Google's dressed-up and modified Chromium, as are Brave, the new MS Edge, Opera etc.

Chromium is the open-source browser atop which you can make your own modifications, **Chrome is not**.

Yes, cludge on my side there, I'm well aware of the difference.

Yup, it's wild
lol.gif
You can however opt for a completely ad-free experience, which they ask you about during setup. I run 3x browsers at any given time on this box: Chrome, Brave and Firefox. Chrome and Firefox both have ABP installed and I like the new FF sandboxing feature for Facebook. I don't use Safari, despite this being a Mac. I'm using Brave for BITOG FWIW.

ABP is slower web-surfing, versus that of the noticeably faster UBlock Origin, which I run. I also run Privacy Badger and a new Extension I found last week....... Disable Autoplay. It stops the auto-runs of videos at many major newspapers and Pro Sports websites I visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back