Is this a good deal on a 2001 Lexus RX300?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I borrowed this 2001 Lexus RX300 from a friend who is a used car dealer. The SUV looks good inside and outside, and drives well. This may have been a fleet vehicle because he got it from an action (gotta double check). The major worry right now is that it has 187 thousand miles on odometer. The dealer wants 5,700 for it. Is this SUV worth buying for this price and is it worth buying at all?

Beware the sludge monster! This Lexus has the Toyota 1MZ-FE engine, which is a known sludger. As long as it's clean of sludge and has records of service (and hopefully PCV valve changes?) go for it. They were otherwise pretty good vehicles. I assume you mean "auction" not "action."

Originally Posted By: joegreen
I would not pay 5,700 for an 01 with 187,000. I think thats too high.

+1 - thats nuts. I would rather have a lower mileage more reliable model than a fancy high mileage tank.

For around $6000 in these parts you can get about an 08 Civic with around 60,000 miles, but i guess it ain't a Lexus.

Regular maintenance on a Lexus can be a bit more expensive, too. The guy with the suggestion about the Civic has got the right idea. You can then have money to save for something else.

We did a lot of those engines with under 90,000 miles on them on those rx300's i would stay away from those.

As for the civic the older ones were bulletproof Some 2003 and up have problems with the automatic transmissions, and there are head problems with some of those engines.
The price is also much too high for that.

Is it 2001 RX-300 a Texas vehicle?
If the RX was maintained well, they'll run for ever as many on ClubLexus have several hundred thousand miles on theirs! And one member recently reported...500K miles and many approaching 300K miles.

Last edited:
For that kind of money I'd look for a 2004-2005 Toyota Highlander instead. Identical vehicle type but a little more reliable because less gadgets things to break and also a little bigger on the inside.

Last edited:
since he is your 'friend'.. first have him tell you what they have in the vehicle then offer $500 above what they have in it. IF they bite on that, then have them pull the front valve cover off. only costs about $10 to replace that gasket and its fairly easy to remove/inspect. Once u remove that cover u will either see massive amounts of sludge or a nice brown tinted valvetrain. Sludge= run.

Also you need to find out when/if the timing belt/spark plug job was done...if nobody knows...u are looking at around $1000 in extra costs soon unless u do it yourself.

At 14 years old and that kind of mileage this vehicle was probably mostly used for back and forth to work. Probably going to be a sludger, probably going to have transmission problems before long due to stop and go for its lifetime.

Not trying to scare you, but you have to almost do a CSI on a vehicle before you put down your hard earned money... a $5K 'deal' can turn into several thousand dollars in added expenses quick..

As mentioned by CharBaby, if maintained it's a solid CUV! Mine is chugging along like new at 212k miles, and my uncle has over 400k mile on his 99 RX300 (original engine and transmission). Here's the thread he's referring to : http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-first-generation/603486-high-mileage-rx-owners-speak-up.html

Check the service records for oil changes.

Is it AWD or FWD? Timing belt should be done every 90k/7 years, whichever comes first. So it's due for it's second timing belt.

$5,600 believe it or not, is not a horrible price (not saying it's a good price either). This is a Lexus after-all. Somebody offered to pay more than that for my RX300 after seeing its condition (no way I'm selling this beast though).

If It does need a timing belt, then you're looking at $$. Anywhere from $600-$1000 including changing water pump, cam/crank seals, pulleys, tensioner, etc.

I'd try and get it for ~ $4,800 out the door with dealer "fees".

For more information, check out http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-first-generation-182/ or Send me a PM and I can share some things to look for

We have a solid group of guys over on Club Lexus that know everything inside and out about this vehicle.

Last night I went to my garage, opened the hood and checked the oil, brake fluid, and the ATF fluid. The fluids looked good. The ATF fluid looked pinkish and transparent, so definitely fresh. The brake fluid looked somewhat transparent, so probably fairly fresh too. The SUV has leather, power seats with memory, the OEM CD and cassette deck, moon roof, and a display. Everything works. But anyways, I feel nervous about the 187K mile odo reading.

Originally Posted By: Zako2
Last night I went to my garage, opened the hood and checked the oil, brake fluid, and the ATF fluid. The fluids looked good. The ATF fluid looked pinkish and transparent, so definitely fresh. The brake fluid looked somewhat transparent, so probably fairly fresh too. The SUV has leather, power seats with memory, the OEM CD and cassette deck, moon roof, and a display. Everything works. But anyways, I feel nervous about the 187K mile odo reading.

At 187k, it's hardly broken in.

But, if that number on the dash keeps you awake at night... Don't buy it!

14 years old and 187k miles on an overgrown nice Camry, no thanks.

The age would bother me more then the mileage personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back