is this a good 0w20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hallo everyone,

I have 2 new cars a 2.0 honda cr-v 4x4 and a kia rio 1.25

They both have coverd their first 1000 miles, so i did a first oil and filter change.
for both car's i used mpm 0w20.
link:

http://www.mpmoil.nl/pdf/pds/MPM_05000JP_pds_EN.pdf

Look at the incredible viscosity index 199.
Both engine's sound and feel great useing this engine oil.
But i have a concern:
I intend to do fairly long change interval.
15000mile to be exact i always did this to all my cars.
But if you look at the TBN of this oil it say's only 2.4
Is this a problem?

thank you verry much and sorry for my english.

How could they have gotten the vi so high? Does this seem like a good oil to you guys? For my cars?

The VI sounds right for a Japanese OEM 0W-20 but there is a typo in the KV40 spec' which should be 39.7cSt and of course the TBN is just wrong.

You could write the company and point out the PDS spec's are wrong and ask for thev correct TBN figure. You could also ask outright how long the oil can be run?

Without more info I'd keep the OCI to under 10,000 miles without performing a UOA to see if you can runthe the oil longer.

Hard to say, but MPM look like a legitimate company, so I imagine it's fine. There's not much information about the oil, and their information sheet doesn't inspire much confidence since half of the information is wrong!

I'm using the Honda/Idemitsu 0W20 and it also has low TBN (5.7-5.9). Since I'm using it for 10-11K, I'm just draining a quart at 6K and topping off. You may want to consider doing something similar if your car doesn't consume much oil.

I'd keep the OCI under 10,000 miles.
I don't know of any light, high VI 0W-20 that can go longer than that.
Toyota in the States recommends a 10,000 mile OCI for their 216 VI 0W-20 but Toyota Canada has kept the OCI to 5,000 miles for the same oil due to our harsher climate.

Why don't you have an UOA done at 10,000 miles and take it from there.

Hi salgra

Is this the 3rd or just released 4th generation CR-V? What does Honda's manual say about ACEA specs? I was under the impression that in Europe it was A1/B1, A5/B5 or A3/B3, although that was for the 2007 CR-V. At that time, API or ILSAC were for non-european markets in which case this oil wouldn't meet the european requirements. Just asking.

hermit

How much does this oil cost?

M-1 0w20 is rated for 10K (ask tig). Tig does 10K on all his vehicles.

I currently have M-1 0w20 in my vehicle....and will be doing 7.5 to 8K....due to my driving habits.

15K seems a bit excessive to me. If it were me, I would do a 10K with and a UOA to make sure it can last for 15K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back