Is this a bed bug?

Pew

Hi folks,

I've found 4 apple seed-sized bugs like this in my townhouse since I moved into the master bedroom last Nov but 3 were in the master bathroom and 1 in the spare bathroom. I've been here since 2014 and nothing like this has popped up enough to think I could have a problem. I did a quick google search of common household bugs in IL and the closest I can find are bed bugs. I'm always clean though and my roommate/landlord/friend that moved out last Nov was clean as well. I live in a 4-unit townhouse so there has been an older lady that lives in the unit above me before I moved in, one has been there since 2017-ish, and one just moved in a few months ago so I'm wondering what these are and how these could have gotten here (bathroom walls are all interior walls.) I hate bugs and I hate them inside my house even more so getting rid of any bugs/pests before they become an issue is a top priority for me.

Thanks!

PXL_20221010_094922291.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20221010_094906743.jpg
    PXL_20221010_094906743.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I’d need a coin or something for reference. Looks like a stink bug to me but the ones we have here are pretty big.

It's pretty small. I'd say it can fully fit within the head of a dime; about the size of a regular sized apple seed from a store bought red delicious apple. I occasionally open my windows so if they're coming in because it's getting cold outside, that would make sense. I found two of them within the past week and the other two sparingly throughout the year.

Hi folks,

I've found 4 apple seed-sized bugs like this in my townhouse since I moved into the master bedroom last Nov but 3 were in the master bathroom and 1 in the spare bathroom. I've been here since 2014 and nothing like this has popped up enough to think I could have a problem. I did a quick google search of common household bugs in IL and the closest I can find are bed bugs. I'm always clean though and my roommate/landlord/friend that moved out last Nov was clean as well. I live in a 4-unit townhouse so there has been an older lady that lives in the unit above me before I moved in, one has been there since 2017-ish, and one just moved in a few months ago so I'm wondering what these are and how these could have gotten here (bathroom walls are all interior walls.) I hate bugs and I hate them inside my house even more so getting rid of any bugs/pests before they become an issue is a top priority for me.

Thanks!

View attachment 120473
No. It's a stink bug.

With the blunt snout, it looks to be some species of weevil:

Alfalfa Weevil..................................... ........................................Bed bug
1665403861927.png
1665403913944.png

EDIT: I retract my guess. After more close inspection (the lower OP attachment picture looks different than the larger thread pic) the "snout" appears to be the head.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I do not have a better picture for you guys as the bug is long down the drain but the more pictures I see on google, the more the bug in my bathroom looks like a stinkbug. The back of it did have a more pronounced....shoulder(for the lack of proper terminology) as in this picture. I just find it odd that I found it in my bathroom compared to a more-lit place like my office or living room.

1665404136419.png

They are also referred to as wood beetles here in southern IL. Very, very common to get them in the house as autumn sets in. They'll also be in every crevice of your garage. We just grab them with thumb & forefinger and flip them back outside.

Not a bedbug or stink bug it is a type of beetle probably a grain weevil of some sort. Check and grain food boxes or pet food for more and throw them away

Back