Is there some sort of illegitimate use for diesel exhaust fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short, I found myself at the lowest of the low end used car dealers the other day. I'm talking cars with prices in the neighborhood of $1200 that aren't even worth that. Thankfully my days of driving that kind of stuff are over.

From my observations, not that it's a shock, sketchy stuff happens there. Car parts littered everywhere, mechanic wearing an ankle monitor, ashtrays in the sales office like its 1992, customers talking down prices pretty substantially with little resistance, you get the idea.

One thing I saw was a ton of DEF containers strewn about with nary a diesel vehicle in sight, even an empty in the bed of a gas pickup. They actually are an inspection station and somehow each car they sell gets a legit sticker, if not a legit inspection. Is there anything that DEF does to make cars pass emissions or something? I can't find anything on Google.

Could it be they inject it in a vacuum source to lower NOX to while running the test? Just guessing.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Could it be they inject it in a vacuum source to lower NOX to while running the test? Just guessing.
smile.gif

That wouldn't work... and they don't do tailpipe sniffers, just OBD in some counties.

Maybe they're just nice containers that they use for used oil or whatever, and are hoarders.

You'd think they'd do a delete if they had a diesel powered tow truck that was out on a call when you were there, but you never know.

While we're not that kind of "sketchy" car lot, you will see empty containers of DEF and various other things around our lot to be picked up for trash or recycling. Now granted, we do use the DEF pumps when available, therefore we don't go through as many jugs, but the empties that are used are there.
The reason for not seeing a diesel at our lot would be because we have car haulers(Ram 3500's), but we keep them out in the field behind the house as there's no room for them at the lot. We tend to clean the truck out when we're unloading at the lot and then move the truck to the field after. So you would not see a diesel in sight at our lot either.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Saving the environment one plastic jug at a time lol

Yeah, something like that. Lol

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Isn't DEF just concentrated urine? Maybe people are using it to cheat a drug test

Absolutely not. It is a product made in nitrogen fertilizer/ammonia plants though. From natural gas (methane), air, and water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back