Is there anything in this Toyota paper indicating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting read. Seems they are going with a coil on plug ignition system. They have problems. Aluminum heads with steel sparkplugs can give you metallurgy problems, ask Ford. Hope they have enough threads for the spark plugs in the aluminum heads....spark plug blow outs. To make it lighter, they are probably going to be using more plastics. Since one of the goals was to make the engine lighter and smaller in physical size, I would bet that the tolerances are going to be pretty tight. Therefore I would conclude that they will be eyeing the lighter oils, 0-5W 20 series or something relatively thin on the viscocity equation.

Interesting. I'd love to see something similar for the 1MZ-FE V-6, which in earlier forms ended up having the sludge problems.

Coil on plug is not new for Toyota. The 1MZ has it. All six of the cyls on my 1MZ have a coil sitting atop them. Given this engine's unfortunate early history, I've been watching mine like a hawk, and doing a good bit of homework on it. So far, it does not appear that there have been any problems with the plugs interacting badly with the aluminum heads, and the 1MZ has been around for almost 10 years now. Anyone heard of this or any other problems surfacing with this engine?

If you read the Ford manual, this is strictly forbidden on the 4.6 and 5.4l engines. They do not come from the factory with anti-seize on them either. It makes it easier for the plug to back out.

Interestingly, they are controlling the coolant temperature into the block, rather than the exit temperature.

An Aussie guy started doing this a decade ago for propane fueled V-8s and was able to get mid 20s MPG. I tried it and was very impressed.

Which oil woul you recomend,
would 0w30 amsoil series 2000 be OK it seems to thicken up a bit or so the talk goes?
confused.gif

Well they have done a lot of little things that all add up. Basicly they have made the engine more effecient in every way. They are useing less fuel, getting more power and less emissions. They are useing lower tension rings and keeping piston speed at a moderate speed. THey are tightly regulateing the engines temp. I did not see any gear drives in this system either.

When you use less fuel, run cleaner, run cooler and have fewer moveing parts the oil should not get beat up. High head temps, fuel dilution, and more mechanical shearing is always bad news for the oil. BY minimizeing the surface area for friction they also minimize the surface area for shearing!

I do not like the idea of their laser clad valve seat. This laser clad valve seat means non-rebuildable head!! Their is not enough space to recut the seat and no shop I know of has a laser cutter for valve seats! I also do not like the reduced flywheel flange thickness.

Only time will tell but I have my doubts about this engine makeing it to 300,000 wich is my gold standard for Toyotas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back