Is there any way to date a spark plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not take it on a date! Tell how old it is?

I was goofing off in the desert like I do. Ran across a mine that went straight down many feet. I didn't get too close to the edge to find out just how deep it is.

I noticed this spark plug on the ground near the hole in the ground.

It's an Autolite plug. Looks to be either a #87 or #37. The threads are much larger than todays #87 Autolite plugs.

The "A" for Auto and the "L" for Lite are 1 letter. The \ side of the "A" becomes the "L". Hope that makes sense.

It looks to be missing it's sealing washer.

It's pretty big around. Bigger than todays plugs and the electrodes are pretty worn but it doesn't look like it was oil or carbon fouled.

I bet it will still spark!

Anyway. I'm wondering if it came from the machine that pulled the ore up out of the mine. Most of these mines were last worked during the great depression so I'm assuming it came from then.

1009011544.jpg

1009011545.jpg

Here it is next to a quarter.

1009011546.jpg

When did Autolite use that A with the L?

I was going to say, I don't think that's legal in most states. :-D

I would email Autolite and ask if the printed numbers can be decoded for production date or something.

Last edited:
I would start by looking in 1930's magazines for ads. I love seeing US made Mazda light bulbs! That would get your logo right.

I bet CSI could scrape some lead off that plug and see what compounds and concentrations were used in gasoline from what era.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Contact someone at Spark Plug Collectors of America:

http://www.spcoa.net/

I thought that going to badger and blade for razor blade recommendations was anal.

I wish I had my Grandad's footlocker of old plugs right now.

We have an old Champion 18mm 2 piece sparkplug made into a bottle opener at work. Saves the desktops being damaged when opening beer bottles. We don't drink from girly little bottles with twist tops.

sure. a quiet dinner with a nice wine, and a chic flik for her (she'll think that you're sensitive). remember to compliment her -- her shoes, hair or ground electrode.have a good night, and bring protection.

Take her jewelry shopping. She's probably into platinum. You'll know by the end of the evening if there's any spark between the two of you.

Don't try to guess her diameter, women spark plugs are easily offended and sometimes just shatter.

Could always try the Cinderella angle, and keep trying it in different engines until it fits just right, then check the age of the chassis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back