Is there any plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any plan on the part of any motor oil producers in the United States to produce synthetic oils in this country comparable to the synthetic oils that exist in Europe? Of course, ExxonMobil has Mobil 1 and there are Redline and Amsoil (plus a few others), but it seems like most producers are going to Group III and away from what many would consider to be true synthetics.

Will the trend be towards Group III or will we start to see motor oils in this country comparable to the German Castrol and other synthetic oils developed in Europe?

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
*-*-*-*-
Will the trend be towards Group III or will we start to see motor oils in this country comparable to the German Castrol and other synthetic oils developed in Europe?

Well I would wager if I were a wagering man, that for sure in the next few years By 2005-2007, that group 1 oils will not likely be found in an engine oil. As far as Syn's , Donno, at thin moment without thinking of it for very long I'd say that No Syns unless demand is that great (and I doubt that). Look at the Spread for Oils gr1 vs gr2 is what ??? 5 Cents.... I think it's like the fuel jobbers, where even an 1/4-1/8 cent in price can affect them big time.... Not until MARKET or environmental BS dictates them otherwise, and you know. they will still probably figure a way around that... IMO, it's market driven.

In terms of Group IV synthetic oils, I think you are already seeing the "plan". In terms of Group III the producers of Group IV has lost a major case and in fact Group III oil's can be legally called synthetic, whereas in the past usually on Group IV was referred to as synthetic. If I were a Group III producer I would try to LABEL EVERYTHING I MADE synthetic IAW the new ruling and precedence. In the past reference was made to "FULL" Synthetic but I would look to that meaning being WATERED DOWN! Or if we want to get closer to the truth: hydrocracked down
rolleyes.gif

Even the so called "synthetic" Castrol that you speak so highly of, is one of Group III "synthetic" oils.

Even Amsoil, in the past a marketer of almost strictly Group IV has seen the writing on the wall and now markets a "synthetic" product line manufactured from Group III stocks.

I have had Castrol 5w40 OEM filled in a 2003 Jetta TDI. As you know, the Euro Castrol is in VERY short supply in the USA.

So for me the choice comes down to this: why spend up to 9 dollars a qt for Group III EURO CASTROL, when I can buy a Group IV full synthetic, such as Mobil Delvac One, for 5 dollars per quart? Castrol already manufactures and distributes in the USA their already "synthetic" group III so you can already see what is happening. In fact if both Euro and USA Castrol can indeed meet the SAME API standards etc etc, then really where it is manufactured becomes MOOT.

[ October 04, 2003, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: ruking77 ]

quote:

Even the so called "synthetic" Castrol that you speak so highly of, is one of Group III "synthetic" oils.

The German Castrol 0w30 more than likely does not contain all that much group 3 in it (if any at all), otherwise it would not be able to handle such long drain intervals, nor would it have such a low pour point. I am pretty confident this oil is mostly ester based.

I kind of wonder why they are able to sell the German Castrol for about the same price as Mobil 1, if it is ester based. But judging from my first experience with what I think is an ester based oil (the German Castrol), I would prefer an ester based synthetic.

Mobil 1 and Amsoil are primarily PAO based with esters, which is all you really need. The problem in the US right now is the trend towards 20wt oils. If this continues, then our oils will stay even further apart from our European friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back