Is there any oil that's not good for 3K or 4K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by tpi:
If I was looking at a used vehicle with 150,000 miles, I would consider 5000 mile OCI/store brand oil (of current spec) to be a plus for the vehicle.

I've seen many used vehicles with little or no preventive maintenance at all.

I've even bought a few neglect buckets, just because they were so cheap and dirty. Clean em up, drive them 30-50,000 miles and sell them for what you paid. My last one was a Toyota Corolla with 2 dino oil changes in 78,000 miles. Used that as leverage to severely discount the value of the engine. It did have good compression, but was varnished and leaked a little out of the main seals. I put it on 10K mobil one changes and drove it another 40,000 miles, selling it for what I paid.

That's strange. I once knew a guy who bought a new Corolla and put 78K on the original oil. This guy was so much of an un-car guy, he didn't even know you're supposed to change the oil. After he found out about changing the oil, he took his car in to the Toyota service department to have the engine checked. The mechanic told him the engine was fine. The last time I saw him he still had the car and it had over 150K with no problems. That says to me this car either came with some very good oil from the factory and/or the Corolla's engine is very well built.

"Is there any oil that's not good for 3K or 4K?" Is that 3 or 4 K per quart or per oil change? Regardless, if I am gonna pay $3K or $4K for oil, it had BETTER be good!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
"Is there any oil that's not good for 3K or 4K?" Is that 3 or 4 K per quart or per oil change? Regardless, if I am gonna pay $3K or $4K for oil, it had BETTER be good!
grin.gif

I spend $3,000 - 4,000 on oil, it better make me smile in ways no oil has yet.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by bottgers:
That's strange. I once knew a guy who bought a new Corolla and put 78K on the original oil. This guy was so much of an un-car guy, he didn't even know you're supposed to change the oil.

Was he adding oil? If not, I find it difficult to believe that any engine wouldn't have used up all the oil in it well before 78K and locked up tight.

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:

quote:

That's strange. I once knew a guy who bought a new Corolla and put 78K on the original oil. This guy was so much of an un-car guy, he didn't even know you're supposed to change the oil.

Was he adding oil? If not, I find it difficult to believe that any engine wouldn't have used up all the oil in it well before 78K and locked up tight.

Good question, and I don't know. If I see the guy again I'll ask him.

The Corolla I mentioned was owned by a member of my family before I bought it. It was used for 40 mile highway commutes in southern CA. I could find receipts for the two changes. I asked about others, but there weren't any. The engine had a heavy layer of reddish varnish, but no mayo sludge. The dipstick was varnished down to the oil level which was lower than the full mark. The compression was very even and no excessive blow by. One of the crankshaft oil seals leaked a drop once in a while. I used it as a commuter. I crossed the desert several times to Las Vegas, it burned about two thirds quart per 10,000 miles and got 36 MPG. Towards the end of my time with the car, the timing chain became noisy (about 125,000 miles). This could be from the lack of oil changes ;-)

That Corolla had a timing chain? Do the newer ones have a chain or a belt? I prefer chains because they last longer. My Tercel has a belt.

quote:

quote:

I bet you at some point the guy must've taken his car in for other warranty work and the dealer gave him a complimentary oil change without him knowing.

It's impossible for conventional oil to go 78,000 miles without turning into complete sludge. A friend of mine is a service advisor for a GM dealer and he's seen a number of cars come in with seized engines from never changing their oil. In most cases he says the mileage is around 35 to 40,000 miles.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

quote:

I bet you at some point the guy must've taken his car in for other warranty work and the dealer gave him a complimentary oil change without him knowing.

It's impossible for conventional oil to go 78,000 miles without turning into complete sludge. A friend of mine is a service advisor for a GM dealer and he's seen a number of cars come in with seized engines from never changing their oil. In most cases he says the mileage is around 35 to 40,000 miles.

I suppose that's a possibility.

Money is no object to me. I buy the best and the most expensive. Delvac, Redline, GC, I love all the expensive stuff.

Call me wasteful, but there are thousands of people who stuff fast food into their faces every day, and I think that's a waste.

A friend of mine runs nothing but M1 syn in his Honda Civic with an OCI of 3K. I think that's overkill by a long shot, but it gives him his "warm fuzzy." Whatever you're comfortable with I guess.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
My shop experience echo the same results, somewhere in the 30K range.

I dont care what gives any of you your "warm fuzzy feelings" your letting you worry yourself for no reason and WASTE MONEY. I dont care if your rich, your WASTING MONEY changing your synthetic oil so early.

I do not go for half the things posted on this site. Everyone over thinks this stuff.

A friend of mine changes his oil every 2k, and its a 94 sentra, on dino, and its got 120k miles and its burning oil. he doesnt ride it rough.

hey it musta been the brand of oil or filter! no, it just started burning. I bet you could take the same car with the same oil brand and change intervals and chances of it burning at the same time are slim to none.

I Have a 87 toyota 4x4, 419k miles, 10k OCI with m1. OH WAIT-maybe my engine could "benefit" from me changing it at 5k, you know, it all depends on those bogus analysis tests that have different results from different places with the exact same sample. please.

Got a 1993 Chevy Lumina, and guess what, i never change the dino out of it, in fact the last DINO OIL DRAIN I DID WAS AT 14k. *GASP* the engine has 220,000 miles on it and doesnt leak a drop, it runs great! WOW.

You cant control everything. If you use synthetic, run it how you should. 25k mile oil changes dont bother me baby. You can get as technical as you want.
grin.gif

It was a '99 model, I think the engine was introduced in '98 and used a chain rather than belt.

I like it, RedWolf4K, and found your brand of oil at Dollar General Store, sold nationwide. New-on-the-shelf Uni-Lab 10W-40, SF rated (recommended for cars until about 1991), and only 75-cents for 0.946 litres. And it has a detergent additive at no extra charge. Got cases of 'em! Go for it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back