is there any harm in running 0W30 M1 AFE ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, they're both 30 weight oils. I'm using 0w-30 oil in place of 5w-30 with no problems. One car is an 84 Civic and the other is an 03 V8 4Runner. I'll have UOA's coming soon.

Use it with confidence. It will protect your engine better in start up. And give you slightly better mpg when your engine is cold

If it is under warranty they wont know its in there unless you tell them. I have been a tech at a ford dealership for 25 years and I have never seen a warranty claim denied because of the weight or brand of oil in the engine.
I have seen engine claims denied because of a cotton gauze air filter.

Originally Posted By: Chuckinator
Use it with confidence. It will protect your engine better in start up. And give you slightly better mpg when your engine is cold

thats what I was thinking the instant mpg gauge on the display seems more sensitive when running

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Well, they're both 30 weight oils. I'm using 0w-30 oil in place of 5w-30 with no problems. One car is an 84 Civic and the other is an 03 V8 4Runner. I'll have UOA's coming soon.

Please post when you get them that interesting.

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
If it is under warranty they wont know its in there unless you tell them. I have been a tech at a ford dealership for 25 years and I have never seen a warranty claim denied because of the weight or brand of oil in the engine.
I have seen engine claims denied because of a cotton gauze air filter.

Haha, yep. Any modifications that can be linked even by a BIG stretch are fair game for them to try at least. Moss-Mag act my eye.

Originally Posted By: RJS1971

thats what I was thinking the instant mpg gauge on the display seems more sensitive when running

Placebo effect. You arent going to be able to see that kind of change on an instant MPG gauge going from a 5w to a 0w. You would have to calculate it back to back over severals tanks and then you'd see its MAYBE .5 to 1 mpg. Nothing you are going to see on that gauge. You might be driving with less of a lead foot now that you are being mindful of MPG's with you AFE in there though.

Originally Posted By: jayg

Placebo effect. You arent going to be able to see that kind of change on an instant MPG gauge going from a 5w to a 0w. You would have to calculate it back to back over severals tanks and then you'd see its MAYBE .5 to 1 mpg. Nothing you are going to see on that gauge. You might be driving with less of a lead foot now that you are being mindful of MPG's with you AFE in there though.

your probably right but after a thousand miles same habits my mileage has gone from 15.7 to 16.4 I will do a test and run 3000 with it and then switch to M1 EP and see if there is any difference just out of curiosity.

your probably right but after a thousand miles same habits my mileage has gone from 15.7 to 16.4 I will do a test and run 3000 with it and then switch to M1 EP and see if there is any difference just out of curiosity.

I wouldnt switch the oil at 3k, I'd go 7-8k with it easily, even in an Ecoboost

You'll love the 0wXX AFE oils from M-1. IMO they are superior to anything out there.

I've been using M-1 0w20 AFE for several years now (with a Fram ULTRA filter), and my vehicle couldn't be happier.

Recent M1 0W20 convert in a vehicle specified for 5W20 ...Engine is quiet , lively and I'm seeing about a 0.5 to 1.0 MPG improvement . A 7,500 mile OCI should be about right .Be sure to check your oil level anytime you change to a new oil . Lastly , I can't comment on high wear metals with M1 AFE , at least I can not recall any concerns as those which have been cited with standard M1 synthetic .

is ther any harm in running M1 0W30 advanced fuel economy synthetic in an ecoboost motor rated for 5 W30?

I don't believe that there would be any risk whatsoever...whatever you gain in fuel consumption is likely immeasurable.

Mobil claiming 0.2 to 2 and a bit % depending on what you started with.

I've just switched from an oil with HTHS 4.4 to 3.2, and it would be lucky to be 1MPG if that....you are going from around 3 HTHS to approximately 3 HTHS, I doubt 1MPG is in your future.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I've just switched from an oil with HTHS 4.4 to 3.2, and it would be lucky to be 1MPG if that....you are going from around 3 HTHS to approximately 3 HTHS, I doubt 1MPG is in your future.

Yep, you and I both did the math, and trying to discern that small of a difference in a daily driver is virtually impossible. An improvement is certainly there, but well within the error bars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back