Is there any benefit to mixing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed the oil in a taurus and I used

4 quarts Castrol GTX 10w30,
1 quart M1 15w50,
5 oz. Lube Control,
and an Amsoil Filter.

Im thinking the M1 will bump the GTX to a mid-high 30 wt, and hopefully keep it in the 30 wt range for the 5000 miles I plan to run this brew.

I feel like I did a good thing
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Santo Fontana:
I just changed the oil in a taurus and I used

4 quarts Castrol GTX 10w30,
1 quart M1 15w50,
5 oz. Lube Control,
and an Amsoil Filter.

Im thinking the M1 will bump the GTX to a mid-high 30 wt, and hopefully keep it in the 30 wt range for the 5000 miles I plan to run this brew.

I feel like I did a good thing
patriot.gif

Not sure we will ever know unless your a chemmist and can analyze the mix. But then we are not all that sure between various off-the-shelf brands which is better. So I say have at it. I like your spirit and I plan to do something similar with Valvoline Durablend, a quart of cheap NAPA synthetic to boost the blend and viscosity, and some Maxlife additive to throw in some moly. I doubt it can hurt.
cheers.gif

I'm going to mix 3 qts of Mobil 1 0w20 with
1 qt of Mobil 1 10w-30 cause I can't find any
0w-30 around here. It's always sold out.
This is for my '04 Accord 4 cyl.

Bill

Most oils are compatible with each other. More often then not, mixing them only serves to degrade the primary lubricant, aka diluting it.

Next time you have a headache, take one advil and one tylenol together. Same thing IMO. experimenting with no known benefit and could cause problems now or in the long run. But of course you can always blame the oil for any problems that arise from these crazy experiments, just like grampa Munster
wink.gif

[ August 04, 2004, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
Next time you have a headache, take one advil and one tylenol together. Same thing IMO.
wink.gif

Just had to say this I do all the time and it works for me. I take my Asprin (drug of choice) but if my headache still doesn't go away I follow up with Advil and it nips it in the butt.

But yes I'd agree one should be careful and use common sense when mixing any drugs or oils. lol

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:

Next time you have a headache, take one advil and one tylenol together.

offtopic.gif

one of the major pain relievers is a combination of acetaminophin and aspirin. aspirin and ibuprofen perform the same functions (reduce pain, swelling, and fever), while acetaminophin is not an anti-inflammatory it will reduce pain and fever. anyway, i don't believe that there is any (negative) interaction between ibuprofen and tylenol.

on the other hand, do not take tylenol with alcohol. bad for liver.

(i've got mixed oil in my engine right now
grin.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back