Is There A Tire Pressure GaugeThat Is Accurate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 3 tire pressure guages and they all show different readings on the same tire, even the one i have at my shop built into the air hose which is under a year old says something different...The reading are from 4 pounds to around 10!
I know the Stealership i deal with must be way off because they pump them way up on new cars i guess to squeeze the best gas mileage out of the new car of course that makes the ride rock hard!
Who knows where i can get an accurate tire pressure gauge???
I know many think theirs are good but how many of you tested it against some others?

I have two gauges, one is pencil type and one is digital, they are within 1 lb of one another. Pencil type is more than 15 years old and digital is more than 10 years old.

Digital ones are usually pretty accurate, otherwise, you're looking at a $30+ dial type for accuracy...Tire Rack has a few from which to choose...

I think I spent about $35.00 on my inflator that's hooked up to the compressor...it's accurate, but, frankly, at my age, I need the reading glasses to see it...

Last edited:
Unless it comes with a Certificate of Cal NIST traceable to bureau of stds then you are out of luck chuck. I have two pencil type gauges and they are w/in 1 lb of each other. I can see why a digital would be more accurate - more parts and the digital readout does not add to accuracy whatsoever. I had a nice dial guage but one drop on the ground and its toast. Fragile animal it be.

Sears Accu-Gage

I have four of these. I have checked them against my calibrated work pressure gauge. Most have been within +-0.4psi of the very expensive yearly calibrated tool. I did return one that was +1.3psi.

-- A large 2" dial with a steel case

-- Overall very solid construction, no flimsy plastic

-- A precision movement with a geared, bronze Bourdon tube movement

-- A well-positioned bleeder-valve pressure adjuster

-- A hold-pressure-until-released feature

-- Excellent pressure accuracy/repeatability, much (!) better than is typical at this price

This is a huge, rarely-mentioned pitfall regarding tire safety.

I once gathered all the tire pressure gauges from all of my neighbors and compared them. The scatter was huge!

A tire with a median reading of 30 psi read from 20 psi to 38 psi, depending on the gauge. The 20 psi reading was from a really nice, fairly new, US-made dial gauge.

I don't trust any tire pressure gauge without a traceable calibration record anymore. Since I have no such gauge, I just have to find--through experimentation--the optimal tire pressure for each of my vehicles as measured on my particular gauge.

I have a few mechanical pointer dial, and one digital. I have culled out others I purchased that didn't read the same.
Kind of like a buy & try.

94MaxGXE - looks like you need to join the BITOG 12 step program
smile.gif
Those are way to many gauges for a normal person...
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
94MaxGXE - looks like you need to join the BITOG 12 step program
smile.gif
Those are way to many gauges for a normal person...
cheers3.gif

Very True...

Now if I only had the money to fulfill all my needs.

LOLz, Jim

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I have 3 tire pressure guages and they all show different readings on the same tire, even the one i have at my shop built into the air hose which is under a year old says something different...The reading are from 4 pounds to around 10!
I know the Stealership i deal with must be way off because they pump them way up on new cars i guess to squeeze the best gas mileage out of the new car of course that makes the ride rock hard!
Who knows where i can get an accurate tire pressure gauge???
I know many think theirs are good but how many of you tested it against some others?

Dealerships pump up the tires more than specified because they don't know exactly how long a car will sit before it is bought, and will certainly be below spec after sitting on the lot if they inflated them to exact when first put on the lot. It's also a well known fact that underinflation is what causes most tire failures, and would rather sell someone a car with a few extra psi than a few less psi. Car buyer's usually don't check their tires often in the first place, and so the extra PSI is a cushion for quite a few variables. Unfortunately some cheap dealerships don't care and just put the car on the lot without checking the tires. Sad really.

The most accurate types are the oil filled dial types, and digital types, but you will be paying more than usual for a dial gauge.

Pencil types are the least accurate because they rely on the resistance of the stick to stop the gauge and show pressure. depending on how loose or tight this stick is can vary the reading quite a bit, as well as gravity. you sometimes can get two different readings on a pencil type that's loose by holding it upright for one reading and upside down for another because of gravity.

Good for when you have nothing else, but a dial type is definitely more accurate. Digital has the least moving parts, and then using electronics calculates the Pressure, not by some numbers painted on a face with a stick or needle.

Digital is my bet, but those expensive 40 dollar oil filled dials are pretty accurate as well. Go to a racetrack and see what they use. Accuracy is crucial to them, and they spend a pretty penny on pressure gauges. They'd be the best source for tire gauges.

Digital gauges read easier, and are cooler.
But there is no reason that they should be considered more accurate than a pencil gauge.

I find all my gauges to be within a few pounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back