Is there a recommended o2 sensor interval(replace)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always assumed replace o2 sensors when a CEL light came up. Now my girlfriend's father is curious about his wife's 05' Corolla. The car has 90K miles and runs great. He's wondering if he should get them replaced.

Also on the list is:

Cabin Air Filter, Air Filter, Plugs, PCV valve and a tire rotation.

Nope. So long as CEL (esp. on OBD-II type) does not show up about O2 sensor being lazy or bad, you don't have to waste any mullahs on replacing O2 sensors.

Mind you though: O2 sensors can lead to a long and healthy life so long as the following does not happen to your engnine:

(1) use high-quality gasoline (I opt for top-tier gas in this case)

(2) your engine does not use oil, or even if it does, it is still within acceptable level and you are using ILSAC GF3/4 or API SM oil and not some high phosphorus/ZDDP type and others.

(3) you do not "shock" or "poison" your O2 sensors with unnecessary gasoline additives such as FIC, 2-cycle oil, etc.

(4) keep your engine well tuned to eliminate any possibility of misfire (misfire creates shocks that are also detrimental to not only your O2 sensors but also the rather brittle cat convertors.

(5) always consider running your engine long and hot (highway runs are a good thing)

Q.

Last edited:
I think all those are good suggestions. I have heard of O2 sensors getting lazy and degrading MPG before a CEL is invoked, or just taking longer to go from open to closed loop - wasting gas in the process but not forcing a light.

It just is really tough to tell - this is one of the reasons why it is important to log MPG every tank - you know when something is not right. To most, the time and hassle of this is not worth gallons of fuel wasted, so they just wait until there is a sign.

Im not so sure that using adds in the right doses, low doses, is going to do anything to the engine. If there are loads of inorganics, from, say, running a non TC-W3 2-cycle engine oil in there, one may see an issue... but most adds arent all that different than the parent fuel they are dosed into, and they are in such low concentrations, I doubt there is the potential for an issue.

Doesnt mean that burning oil, excessive doping of adds, and all the rest won't destroy the sensors.

Is there a reason to think that the sensor needs to be changed? any signs of degraded performance? If you have one, you might want to put a scangauge on and see how quickly you go into closed loop... Without an "as new" reference, its tough to compare, but looking at at least that, and preferably the waveform is the only real way to know...

I disagree Quest.
Your O2 sensor can be quite lazy without any MIL warning.
On many vehicles O2 sensor monitors are "2 trip monitors" so the sensor has to fail in 2 consecutive tests to trip the light. Also it may require failing multiple tests (there are several different O2 monitors)to illuminate the warning light.
The sensor has to be real bad to trip the light.
Avg O2 lifespan is about 80K. That's not to say they can't go longer if your engine is well maintained

My 1994 Lexus LS400 with more than 240k miles still has OEM O2 sensor(s). The car seen 6-7k/6mo OCI with dino and 10-15k/12mo with syn. My other car is MB E430 with 103k miles just had 1 O2 sensor changed last month, this car has 4 O2 sensors, 2 pre cat and 2 post-cat. I would not change O2 sensor(s) until it failed, if I followed the expected life-span of 80k miles, I would had to change O2 sensors for LS400 3 times already and total cost may be more than $400-500.

The E430's OEM O2 sensors are Bosch, there is another thread about how terrible Bosch O2 sensors and spark plugs is. That may be true for non-Euro cars/trucks, but Bosch O2 sensors and spark plugs are OEM for many Euro engines and they performed reliably.

Your Lexus is pre OBD II so O2 monitoring is almost non existent.
It's possible you could gain some economy and have a smoother running engine. As for the $$$, no one said it was cost effective to replace at 80K.

I read this over on neons.org. recetly. It seems o2 sensors can infact run lazy or fail, and not trip the CEL light. It very common, as far as plymouth neons are concerend. Some say to just replace at 60,000 miles..jsut in case. others say 100,000 miles So its really up to the individual to decide.

Why not probe the signal wire with a multimeter and see what kind of response you get snapping the throttle. If the numbers move like crazy then it's probably good.
wink.gif

I do this on my Cabriolet once a year, because it has no real computer module and has no CEL.

my 96 sunfire has the original OEM oxygen sensor. I'm not changing it unless I absolutely have to.

It all depends on how fast the sensor goes from open loop at startup to closed loop at temperature. A scangauge II is perfect for this, I have one for each of my vehicles (Neon & Cherokee). My 01 Cherokee has original 02 sensors @ 110K and the time it takes the sensor to go from open to closed loop is within a minute or two, still very normal IMO. I take very good care of both vehicles to include MMO/SI-1 additions and top tier fuels so I believe that's played a prominent role in their current condition.

Originally Posted By: ziggy
I read this over on neons.org. recetly. It seems o2 sensors can infact run lazy or fail, and not trip the CEL light. It very common, as far as plymouth neons are concerend. Some say to just replace at 60,000 miles..jsut in case. others say 100,000 miles So its really up to the individual to decide.

When you see a reduction in fuel mileage over 3 tanks or so. I never had a problem with 02 sensors and I sell most vehicles at 125,000 + miles

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
..It just is really tough to tell - this is one of the reasons why it is important to log MPG every tank - you know when something is not right...

Right on. That's your indicator. Even if an upstream O2 sensor bombs completely, they don't make drastic enough fuel trim changes in render your vehicle useless- You just see a drop in MPG and a performance degradation. Other than that, your 'friendly' OBDII system will tell you about any failure mode associated with them.

Joel

Thanks for the input everyone. I will make sure that she logs MPG over the next few tanks.

I calculated one tank for her once, it was only 29.9mpg(city/hwy mix). I believe in 05', the mileage rating was 30/38. That was only one tank though.

We'll see, I noticed on Rockauto, the sensors are 60.00 and 90.00 for Bosch units. Quite a bit more for ACDELCO and Denso.

I would stick with Denso with the corolla. Bosch's give problems on toyotas for some reason. Also, the front 02 sensor on an 05+ corolla is an AFR sensor.

I just noticed those prices were Bosch universal. In reality the front sensor is around 200.00 and the rear 90.00, seems high.

I'm toying around changing my 02 sensor in my 93 Aerostar, I have 171,000 miles on it. I plan on doing it as part of the major tune up it is now due for.

Originally Posted By: frank83
www.1sttoyotaparts.com has really good prices on OEM parts. If you get the universal plugs, you may have to splice.

For some reason, they don't have oxygen sensors.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
www.1sttoyotaparts.com has really good prices on OEM parts. If you get the universal plugs, you may have to splice.

O2 sensors are under: Electrical - Powertrain control - Oxygen sensor

Originally Posted By: panthermike

O2 sensors are under: Electrical - Powertrain control - Oxygen sensor

I see it, thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back