Is there a look up for reccomended coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a universal look up site or chart that tells me what type of coolant to use in my car? Lets pretend for example that my car was missing the owners manual and any related stickers on the overflow tank...

It seems like quite a few people are asking what coolant to use in their car without overpaying through the dealer.

My car came with Dexcool as the factory fill, but I have heard some horror stories regarding Dexcool. Currently it has a somewhat nasty looking green mix with some silt in the bottom of the tank. I'm replacing water pump along with the timing belt and would like to flush the coolant while I'm at it, considering half of it will drain out when the pump is removed.
The car is a 2001 Catera with the 3.0 V6 also found in Saabs and Saturns. Any recommendations?

Zerex has one (below), though I'm not too sure I'd take it as gospel, especially for Asian models, and it only metions Zerex coolants.

As for what to use, around here the coolant guru's seem to think G-05 is the only way to go. Note, I do not include myself as one of those guru's. Just saw a Dex thread (below) here with a radiator that was clean as a whistle.

IMHO, if you check and service your radiator regularly you'll be fine using what the manufacturer calls for. That said, it's your car and you should use what you are comfortable with.
Zerex Coolant Chart

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1438186#Post1438186

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back