Is there a Free Website That Can Decode A VIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to know of a website that you could put in a vin and find out the options of the vehicle.. Does anyone know if that still exists and what the website is?

Options are rarely decodable by VIN, other than what came standard in that vehicle. In some years, you can't even figure out what engine the vehicle came with via the VIN, assuming there were multiple choices available such as in the 1960's and 1970's.

GM should have a SPID label on it listing all the RPO codes, Though some of them will be meaningless (sales codes and so forth).

It is probably on the underside of the trunk lid, glove box, console or spare tire cover...

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
Options are rarely decodable by VIN, other than what came standard in that vehicle. In some years, you can't even figure out what engine the vehicle came with via the VIN, assuming there were multiple choices available such as in the 1960's and 1970's.

It depends on the vehicle manufacturer. Some like Mercedes have a database with all the options that the car came with (EPC-net) and the VIN ties into that database.

I like to use this site to decode Mercedes options, should work on other brands too.

http://www.vindecoderz.com/

I got the hook-up at the dealership. The dealership had a used section next door and they printed a sheet of the option codes and I guess you would just call it a build sheet.

Funny thing was that surprised me, I called first and he only needed like the last several digits to get a specific sheet for my automobile. I guess the first half of a VIN is pretty generic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I got the hook-up at the dealership. The dealership had a used section next door and they printed a sheet of the option codes and I guess you would just call it a build sheet.

Funny thing was that surprised me, I called first and he only needed like the last several digits to get a specific sheet for my automobile. I guess the first half of a VIN is pretty generic.

https://www.carfax.com/guides/buying-used/what-to-consider/vin-decoding

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

For most vehicles I just need the last 8 digits of a VIN for anything. The cataloging will add the first 9 since the last 8 contain the year, and serial number. If the vehicle is one that has been through my dealership I can look up with the last 6 since there obviously won't be as many through the dealer versus nationwide.

With Mazda if you put in the last 8 there could be 3-4 vehicles with the same last 8, especially now that the years codes on VINs are back to letters.

At one point there was a website for GM's that would decode up to 5 VIN's for you (before you had to start paying). I know I looked up a few GM trucks as I wanted to know what rear-end gearing they had. No idea if they are still around, that was a few years ago. [Some ads would list the VIN, but of course, no pic of the build sheet, so I couldn't get a list of the RPO's. The VIN decoder was able to tell me what gears were installed.]

Originally Posted By: supton
At one point there was a website for GM's that would decode up to 5 VIN's for you (before you had to start paying). I know I looked up a few GM trucks as I wanted to know what rear-end gearing they had. No idea if they are still around, that was a few years ago. [Some ads would list the VIN, but of course, no pic of the build sheet, so I couldn't get a list of the RPO's. The VIN decoder was able to tell me what gears were installed.]

Sounds like you could find a dealer with a parts portal that has this lookup feature through their computer.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I used to know of a website that you could put in a vin and find out the options of the vehicle.. Does anyone know if that still exists and what the website is?

The SPID label that is on all GM vehicles since 1984 will probably tell you more than the VIN. It lists both RPO and RPA codes. Once you have the codes it's pretty easy to search for them and find out what they mean. If it's on a vehicle you're considering purchasing then just have the seller take a picture and send it to you. Simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back