Is there a free carfax web site / or can someone run a VIN ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking of traveling 190 miles to look at a 2016 Honda CR-V.

Is there a web site where I could run a CARFAX report for free?

If not, can anyone run it for me for free, the VIN # is 5J6RM4H54GL095491

I'm interested in oil change history, states it was registered in and serviced in, and any accident history.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:
I was doing some free through eBay on here.

I was looking at a Trailblazer to possibly buy. I pulled the the free one on eBay (Experian Autocheck) and bought a Carfax report on eBay for like $6. The Carfax had tons more info. Made the Autocheck almost worthless in comparison.

If you create a car fax account and go to my garage you can put in the vehicle and see some if not all of the maintenance on it. It won't show you any accident history though.

From what I can see, it looks like it has gotten oil changes every 2,500-3,000 miles! There is more, those are just the first 2 real entries.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Linctex
Who inputs the information into CarFax?

https://www.carfax.com/company/vhr-data-sources

It's mostly database transfers from companies and entities that already input it. Some are public data, some Carfax pays for directly. They also partner up with chains, dealerships and car makers to get/exchange information. I *think* the insurance companies are partnered up too.

Last edited:

I believe it's either the insurance company and/or the repair shop that reports to Carfax. I've had three accidents requiring repair/body shop including $15K worth of repairs on a Honda Pilot that was T-boned and it was never reported to Carfax. A clean Carfax means little but one with obvious reports on it is valuable.

Originally Posted by GMguy84
RUN AWAY from that Honda !!!!

Truecar link says Title: Frame Damaged

Means nothing. Could be something minor like tie-down damage. A PPI or simple visual check should tell you more.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD

I believe it's either the insurance company and/or the repair shop that reports to Carfax. I've had three accidents requiring repair/body shop including $15K worth of repairs on a Honda Pilot that was T-boned and it was never reported to Carfax. A clean Carfax means little but one with obvious reports on it is valuable.

A missing point of data apparently is police reports if involved reporting accidents. So if three accidents involved police there is disconnect in reporting. However that all being said MA is an absolute disaster in terms of reporting and processing. I know of certain out of state drivers getting DUI in MA and reporting to other states quite delayed so they continue on when I worked at place that would not allow you in if you had DUI.

unless carfax info is submitter by a dealer or owner, yes i get requests for carfax info the reports mean little + an owner can falsely report as NO checks are done!!

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
I was doing some free through eBay on here.

I was looking at a Trailblazer to possibly buy. I pulled the the free one on eBay (Experian Autocheck) and bought a Carfax report on eBay for like $6. The Carfax had tons more info. Made the Autocheck almost worthless in comparison.

Should always do both. I got a clean carfax with no mention of an accident but I knew it had been in one because the bumper was a little off. Just figured it never got reported. Got the dealer records and in the dealer records it had the repair for the accident. I later got an autocheck and the accident info was in there. So it just depends who reports what. I'd always just get both.

Thanks everyone. The information about frame damage is enough to make me pass on this one. It's not worth traveling 190 miles to check it out. I will keep looking.

Also the information provided about TrueCar, AutoCheck, and CarFax will be valuable for the ones I will be checking out in the future.

I have been looking for a couple of weeks.

In the past I have seen owners of vehicles damage engines by not changing the oil and am always concerned about any vehicle that does not show regular oil changes on reports. I know the dealers are more expensive than independent shops and quick lube places and it could be that the owner just went to the cheaper place for regular oil changes, but I am always concerned about any vehicle with reports that do not show oil changes. If I ever do find a good vehicle without a history of regular oil changes I plan on test driving it in both city probably more than 100 miles on a highway, and may get my local independent mechanic to put in on a pollution test machine to see that the engine is still running clean.

Thanks again for the replies.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JimPghPA
If I ever do find a good vehicle without a history of regular oil changes I plan on test driving it in both city probably more than 100 miles on a highway, and may get my local independent mechanic to put in on a pollution test machine to see that the engine is still running clean.

Thanks again for the replies.

Wow, good luck with that. I don't see anyone letting you go on a test drive that long and you'd probably have to commit to buying the car before it'd be worth taking to a mechanic.

Would someone be able to run a carfax report for me on a 2011 Chev Equinox, vin# 2CNFLCEC7B6450675
I’m mainly interested in the last date reported for milage on the engine and any work performed on the engine including recalls. I need another engine for my 2011 GMC Terrain. The shop I’m getting it from says it has 96k but I think it’s more. Thanks!

If you create a car fax account and go to my garage you can put in the vehicle and see some if not all of the maintenance on it. It won't show you any accident history though.

From what I can see, it looks like it has gotten oil changes every 2,500-3,000 miles! There is more, those are just the first 2 real entries.

[Linked Image]
Would someone be able to run a carfax report for me on a 2011 Chev Equinox, vin# 2CNFLCEC7B6450675
I’m mainly interested in the last date reported for milage on the engine and any work performed on the engine including recalls. I need another engine for my 2011 GMC Terrain. The shop I’m getting it from says it has 96k but I think it’s more. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back