Is There a Decent FAQ on GC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading posts on BITOG for the past few weeks, I've observed that most of the discussion is very technical and beyond the scope of the average enthusiast.

Despite this, there doesn't seem to be too much on the BITOG home page to get the new reader up to speed. I think a FAQ (or a link to an article or articles that serve the same purpose) would be useful. For instance, a lot of posters talk about low SAP content, changes in HTHS ratings, etc. What do all these acronyms mean, and what is the significance of them? Also, a brief summary of the ACEA and API ratings, and why they appear to be diverging would be helpful.

The main reason I ask is that I would like to understand the threads that go into detail as to why GC is a good oil and why my German-designed car seems to be a lot fussier about oil than the average American or Japanese-designed oil.

Thanks.

Now is there an article that explains how to interpret oil measurements and specifications? (I understand that some of the acronyms have links to other threads, but I was wondering if someone had condensed these into an article).

Hi there,

Just a new member here trying to give some input.

Overall, I'd have to agree with Akuska - this forum is filled with GREAT information, but it's not so easy to dig up. I've found most of my answers through the search function, but it is still daunting to us newcomers. Maybe we should start FAQ list.

I think a Newbie section would be a great addition. At the same time however, I don't want a bunch of "newbie" members to ruin the forums. I can see that BITOG has mostly motivated enthusiasts and I'd like to see it stay that way.

Just my 2 cents.

(BTW, I've only been on here for a few days, but I've learned way more than I ever thought I would! Thanks!)

quote:

I don't know exactly what you mean by "oil mesurements and specifications".
I suggest you check out this thread.

Thanks. This is a start. Basically, a lot of people here quote TBN, HTHS, and a whole slew of other technical jargon. I'm looking

I am also looking for a better understanding of what defines ACEA ratings vs. API ratings, why they differ, what each rating means about oil (e.g. why are certain oils today rated ACEA A1 vs ACEA A3).

In short, is there something like an "oil for dummies" thread or article that is good for a car enthusiast who would like to learn more about oil?

Oil Specification

Most oils have both petrol and diesel ratings which are labelled by their API or ACEA ratings. The ratings are as follows

API = American Petroleum Institute
S = Service - Petrol Engine Performance
C = Commercisl - Diesel Engine Performance

PETROL

SG - Introduced 1989 has much more active dispersant to combat black sludge.

SH - Introduced 1993 has same engine tests as SG, but includes phosphorus limit 0.12%, together with control of foam, volatility and shear stability.

SJ - Introduced 1996 has the same engine tests as SG/SH, but phosphorus limit 0.10% together with variation on volatility limits

SL - Introduced 2001, all new engine tests reflective of modern engine designs meeting current emmissions standards

DIESEL

CD - Introduced 1955, international standard for turbo diesel engine oils for many years, uses single cylinder test engine only

CE - Introduced 1984, improved control of oil consumption, oil thickening, piston deposits an wear, uses additional multi cylinder test engines

CF4 - Introduced 1990, further improvements in control of oil consumption and piston deposits, uses low emmission test engine

CF - Introduced 1994, modernised version of CD, reverts to single cylinder low emission test engine. Intended for certain indirect injection engines

CF2 - Introduced 1994, defines effective control of cylinder deposits and ring face scuffing, intended for 2 stroke diesel engines

CG4 - Introduced 1994, development of CF4 giving improved control of piston deposits, wear, oxidation stability and soot entrainment. Uses low sulphur diesel fuel in engine tests

CH4 - Introduced 1998, development of CG4, giving further improvements in control of soot related wear and piston deposits, uses more comprehensive engine test program to include low and high sulphur fuelsSG - Introduced 1989 has much more active dispersant to combat black sludge.

ACEA Specifications
(Association des Constructeurs Europeens d’Automobiles)

ACEA ratings are prefixed with “A” for petrol, “B” for light or passenger car diesel and “E” for heavy duty diesel.

The current specifications are:

A1 Fuel economy petrol
A2 Standard performance level
A3 High performance and/or extended drain
A4 Reserved for future use in certain direct injection engines
A5 Combines A1 fuel economy with A3 performance

B1 Fuel economy diesel
B2 Standard performance level
B3 High performance and/or extended drain
B4 For direct injection car diesel engines
B5 Combines B1 fuel economy with B3/B4 performance

E1 Non-turbocharged light duty diesel engines
E2 Standard performance level
E3 High performance and extended drain
E4 Higher performance and longer extended drain
E5 High performance and long drain plus API performances

Thanks.

What is the API SM certification, and how does it differ from SL? Why is it that GC and other Euro oils can meet VW 502 00 but not API SM? Do they have mutually exclusive criteria?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back