Is there a coolant vacuum filler that doesn't require an air compressor?

I need to drain the coolant on a 3800, but it's impossible because they put the lower radiator hose too high on the engine, so draining the petcock doesn't get more than a quart or two (the capacity is listed as 12 qt)

Thankfully, it's a RWD F-body, so the knock sensors might be easier to access than the FWD versions, Unfortunately, there is NOTHING on the knock sensors on a RWD 3800. No pictures on any forums, no videos on Youtube, nothing! So I don't know how accessible they actually are. (I know the rear knock sensor on a FWD is impossible to reach due to being hidden under the exhaust manifold). While I found a video on an Australian Holden Commodore 3.8 with the knock sensors, the engine was on a stand and not in the car. And if I actually can remove them, I have to hope they don't break.

So, the only way to drain the coolant is with a vacuum filler, but they all seem to require an air compressor, which I don't have, and I have no way to use one anyway. I don't have a garage.

Is there a way to use a vacuum filler to remove coolant without an air compressor?

I need to drain the coolant on a 3800, but it's impossible because they put the lower radiator hose too high on the engine, so draining the petcock doesn't get more than a quart or two (the capacity is listed as 12 qt)

Thankfully, it's a RWD F-body, so the knock sensors might be easier to access than the FWD versions, Unfortunately, there is NOTHING on the knock sensors on a RWD 3800. No pictures on any forums, no videos on Youtube, nothing! So I don't know how accessible they actually are. (I know the rear knock sensor on a FWD is impossible to reach due to being hidden under the exhaust manifold). While I found a video on an Australian Holden Commodore 3.8 with the knock sensors, the engine was on a stand and not in the car. And if I actually can remove them, I have to hope they don't break.

So, the only way to drain the coolant is with a vacuum filler, but they all seem to require an air compressor, which I don't have, and I have no way to use one anyway. I don't have a garage.

Is there a way to use a vacuum filler to remove coolant without an air compressor?
Can you take the Thermostat out on this car easily?

no idea if it would work, but...

Could you take both radiator hoses off, hook a shop vac on "blow mode" to the top, and blow all the coolant out the lower hose?

This technique might displace enough of the coolant to get it below the level of the knock sensors. I have used a similar technique with compressed air and it only removes ~50 to 70% of the volume before the influx of air just "skims over" the pockets of trapped coolant.

There are on-line FSM for just about any car. Hunt around...But be aware of malware possibility.

does it have a radiator cap?

Some vehicles I’ve gotten a length of flexible tubing, induced a siphon, and sucked it out that way. Just have the drain be lower than the bottom of the radiator. I’ve done it on large trucks, it will work on a car.

Back