Is there a better oil than redline, shaffers & M1??

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Speed racer:
I want to buy the best oil possible for my 'newer' BMW M5 and want to stop all wear; but I'm afraid I'm not getting enough protection from 'off the shelf' synthetics that any bozo can buy at walmart.
Since they keep changing the formulations of these syn. oils to improve them; you know they aren't perfect.
Where can I get the most perfect oil?

WOW!!! I also want to drive my car and not to use any gasoline or any other fuel as long as I own a car.
grin.gif

Honestly, oils you mentioned are very good. I respect Shell, BP, and Chevron very much as well. Some Castrol formulations look very good. You can just use oil which is sold at dealers for your car. Fact is there wouldn't be any real noticeable difference in wear and longevity of your engine if you use any good synthetic oil and recommended change interval. It seems like you've already pinpointed good brands.

Good luck with your quest,

I believe there was an UOA using Amsoil S2K 0w-30 with LC/FP which showed very little wear. I think you must understand how oil degrades and the external factors that causes the oil to degrade which in turns causes wear in any engine. Any synthetic oil will give excellent protection, but a clean engine will make that synthetic or dino oil work to it's fullest ability. I've learned a lot on Bob's Oilguy and have a better understanding of the different oils on the market and their application.
cheers.gif
to Bobistheoilguy
cheers.gif

$B M W$ $'Bring Money Wad'$ just take it to the dealer, they will take good care of you, just remember too 'Bring Money Wad' as you did the first time you visited them$$$$$$

quote:

Originally posted by Losiho:

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:

quote:

anyone who buys oil at the BMW place is a bozo

I dunno, BMW Synth is actually Castrol Softec TXT, a pretty respectable produkt until GC came along.

But it's Group 3, like our locally available Formula R 5w30 (which replaced TXT).

Do you guys get this Castrol in the USA ? It's group 4 ;
http://www.castrol.com.au/products/pdf/Formula R Synthetic10W-60.PDF

No. These are the Castrol oils sold in the US:
http://www.castrolusa.com/products/Default.asp

Syntec is available in 5w20, 0w30, 5w30, 10w30, 10w40, 5w40, 5w50, and 20w50.

Only some of the 0w30 is GIV, the rest is all GIII.

-T

dunno.gif
Ok this guy wants as close to perfect as he can get in all driving conditions.Here is what I learned so far and I welcome a response.Synthetic oil has a better base so the additive package is less than dino oil.This makes for a cleaner engine.It also will sheer less than dino. If the oil has a wider spread 10w40 it contains more polymers to do its job.You have Ester (redline) Hydrocracked (Castrol Syntec) and other methods to make a better than average oil.I want a oil I can drain out in 5000 mi with a protection 2nd to none but at a reasonable price. If I can get M 1 at 3.79 qt. I will use it if I have to pay 4.33 I will use Amsoil. Perhaps Schafers, Red line and others don't show me their that much better.If I were racing perhaps I would.I signed up for Blackstone and will test M 1 & Amsoil 10/30 after 5000 on my new Nissan SE-R 2.5. After that I will try Redline and Royal Purple this will give us all a no BS result because I support no one only the winner.

Speed Racer,

Maybe just try mobil 1 with the molakule/terry brew and add a bypass filter, that should get you pretty close to your goal of reducing wear to near zero amounts.

Ethan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back