Is there a better oil than redline, shaffers & M1??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to buy the best oil possible for my 'newer' BMW M5 and want to stop all wear; but I'm afraid I'm not getting enough protection from 'off the shelf' synthetics that any bozo can buy at walmart.
Since they keep changing the formulations of these syn. oils to improve them; you know they aren't perfect.
Where can I get the most perfect oil?

There is no perfect oil. There is a "best" oil for your application, but you will NOT eliminate wear. Experimentation is about the only way to find the best oil for your app. The UOA section is a good place to help select your first choice.
grin.gif
cheers.gif

Well, how do you define "best" and "perfect"? Piston engine oil is an extremely stressed substance, that continually faces a number of critical and competing requirements. I'm pretty well convinced that all present members of this forum will be dusty skeletons by the time someone finally brews a lubricant that approaches "perfection" on all fronts. Give us an idea of what particular parameters are most important to you, and I think you'll have a much better chance of getting a meaningful answer to your question.

quote:

'off the shelf' synthetics that any bozo can buy at walmart

You obviously need BMW Dealer oil because "bozos" never shop there.
nono.gif

I suggest using the search function.

Since a majority of wear (50-80%) occurs at start up, you might consider a pre oiler.

http://www.streetortrack.com/preoilerunits.asp

If the goal is also to keep the oil as clean as possible between oil changes AND/or extend oil changes a bypass oil filter system is good.

http://www.oilguard.com/app_guide.php

Lastly, if you want to use the so called "best" oil, I would personally do the selecting between group IV candidates; such as, Mobil One, Mobil Delvac One, Redline, Amsoil. Schaffer's is very good but is acknowledged to be a group III product.

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:

quote:

nono.gif

W
lol.gif
Well, obviously Speed Racer isn't headed for a career in the Diplomatic Corps, but then again, neither am I, so let's pick this apart a bit. First, AJ, I must disagree with your conclusion about BMW oil shoppers. In fact, anyone who buys oil at the BMW place is a bozo. If you're a logical shopper, you can get equal or better oil for a less elsewhere, so buying at the BMW

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:

quote:

nono.gif

lol.gif
Well, obviously Speed Racer isn't headed for a career in the Diplomatic Corps, but then again, neither am I, so let's pick this apart a bit. First, AJ, I must disagree with your conclusion about BMW oil shoppers. In fact, anyone who buys oil at the BMW place is a bozo. If you're a logical shopper, you can get equal or better oil for less elsewhere, so buying at the BMW store means you're a bozo. If you're an emotional shopper and buy at BMW because it makes you feel superior, then you're an even bigger bozo. Hence my conclusion that all BMW oil buyers are bozos.

On the other hand, especially with the collapse of K-Mart, an ever increasing percentage of the shoppers at Wal-Mart are, in fact, bozos. But that said, it's just as clear that many Wal-Mart shoppers are NOT bozos. Proof: say what you will about the evils of Wal-Mart, but they do carry Mobil-1 and occasionally, even German Castrol. No one who uses either of these oils could possibly be a bozo (I use Mobil-1...). Thus, it must be that at least some Wal-Mart shoppers are not bozos. So you can still feel good about yourself if you too shop there. . .
grin.gif

[ May 07, 2004, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: ekpolk ]

quote:

Originally posted by Speed racer:
I want to buy the best oil possible for my 'newer' BMW M5 and want to stop all wear; but I'm afraid I'm not getting enough protection from 'off the shelf' synthetics that any bozo can buy at walmart.
Since they keep changing the formulations of these syn. oils to improve them; you know they aren't perfect.
Where can I get the most perfect oil?

This is the reason that I stopped going to BMW Car Club functions, because the owners of their precious M cars felt they were better than everyone else, who were bozos!!! BTW, they get really ****** when they have to let you pass at the track in your non M car because you are dogging them through the corners.

Guess what, those oils that work in that lowely yugo, work in your precious M car also. Sorry, but there is no private exclusive M car oil.

Cary- Soon to be a Porsche Weenie

[ May 07, 2004, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
Proof: say what you will about the evils of Wal-Mart, but they do carry Mobil-1 and occasionally, even German Castrol. No one who uses either of these oils could possibly be a bozo (I use Mobil-1...). Thus, it must be that at least some Wal-Mart shoppers are not bozos. So you can still feel good about yourself if you too shop there. . .
grin.gif

I actually do not believe this to be compelling evidence, as there are many people who buy Mobil 1, all the while religiously changing it every 3K miles. Person who uses Mobil 1 and does 3K mile intervals w/ no extenuating circumstances = bozo.

quote:

Originally posted by Cary:
This is the reason that I stopped going to BMW Car Club functions, because the owners of their precious M cars felt they were better than everyone else, who were bozos!!! BTW, they get really pissed when they have to let you pass at the track in your non M car because you are dogging them through the corners.

Guess what, those oils that work in that lowely yugo, work in your precious M car also. Sorry, but there is no private exclusive M car oil.

Cary- Soon to be a Porsche Weenie

Well obviously when you get your P-car, you'll realize what bozos all those BMW owners are!

OK gentlemen, this post is drifting with the Bozo comments. Please keep it off that subject. Thanks for your help.

dunno.gif

With the collapse of KMART

Kmart regaining investor confidence
Back from bankruptcy, retailer finds competitors are tougher than ever
By SARAH KARUSH
Associated Press
05/07/2004

ROSEVILLE, Mich. -- A year after emerging from bankruptcy, Kmart Holding Corp. has managed to regain its financial health and the confidence of investors. But the hardest part of its recovery is yet to be achieved: winning back shoppers.

Kmart, which in March posted its first profitable quarter in three years, has impressed Wall Street with a more efficient operation and its ability to amass $2.1 billion in cash. Shares in the reorganized company have nearly tripled over the past year to $44.

But customers, who started turning away from the Troy, Mich.-based company over the past decade, are still defecting to Wal-Mart Stores Inc., Target Corp. and smaller competitors. Kmart's same-store sales, which compare business at stores open at least a year and are considered the best measure of a retailer's health, have extended their decline, dropping 13.5 percent last quarter.

Reversing that trend is the crucial next step, analysts say.

"They've actually come out of bankruptcy in better shape than most big companies coming out of bankruptcy," said Richard Hastings, retail analyst at consulting firm Bernard Sands. "The concern is that they're not gaining market share in any category at a time when competitors are getting bigger and stronger."

Marisa Lenhard, a retail analyst at Sigma Investment Counselors, said now that the company has swung to a profit, investors are going to be eager to see same-store sales improve.

"You can only cut costs for so long," she said.

So far, Kmart has said little about how it intends to woo back customers. It has been remodeling stores, but there has been no announcements or even hints of ad campaigns or image overhauls that would point to a definitive new marketing direction. In public statements, the company tends to emphasize its improved balance sheet.

"Today, Kmart is a financially strong company," Kmart chief executive Julian Day said in a statement timed for Thursday's anniversary. "All of us at Kmart are pleased with the responses of our customers and vendor partners."

Kmart's long-term viability will depend on whether it can distinguish itself from similar stores. On price, it can't compete with Wal-Mart, which has enormous buying power. Target, meanwhile, has the edge on style.

Ken Bernhardt, a marketing professor at Georgia State University, said Kmart's best bet is to cast itself as the premier store for a few particular categories - finding its own niche in the discount market. "If they can develop some departments where they really excel, particularly in merchandising and providing great value for consumers, then they can get them in the store," he said.

Emanuel Morales, 28, of Millville, N.J., who had stopped at the Kmart on U.S. 40 near Bear on Thursday to buy a pan, said the quality of products at Kmart is superior to that of competitors such as Wal-Mart.

"I hope they continue to work things out and keep going, because I like coming to Kmart," Morales said.

Robert Doremus, 43, of Middletown, said the store's location is the biggest appeal for him. "It's convenient to get to from my home," he said. "Wal-Mart can be a pain to get to."

But Fayketta Medearis, 18, of New Castle, said she considers Kmart inferior to Wal-Mart and Target in terms of price and selection of products.

"I like the other stores more," Medearis said as she exited the Bear-area Kmart on Thursday. "I only come here every now and then."

That assessment illustrates the obstacles still facing the retailer. In an annual University of Michigan survey of customer satisfaction, Kmart remained at the bottom among major retailers this year.

Yep , experimentation for your application with UOAs is the the best way to find out what the best oil is. Also, im experimenting with oil additives like Maxlife Engine Protector so i can have my own " custom oil " blend.
cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 59 Vetteman:
OK gentlemen, this post is drifting with the Bozo comments. Please keep it off that subject. Thanks for your help.

dunno.gif

Sorry to have made sport of Speed racer's question. Let's see - a serious answer...

How about Shell Helix Ultra? As far as I know, that is only available at Ferrari dealerships, and is what they use in the new Ferraris...

You might want to try GC. Redline and GC are probably at the top of the heap followed by Synergyn, Amsoil, and M1(0w-40 would be best for your application).

Might want to check out Lubro Moly Voll-Synthese 0W-40 and 5W-40. Available on-line. Has BMW recommendations and reosanably priced.

Syntec is looking pretty good. Robust additive package and high TBN. UOA's are looking stellar and this stuff is made right here in Durant, Ok-ra-homa.

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
Syntec is looking pretty good. Robust additive package and high TBN. UOA's are looking stellar and this stuff is made right here in Durant, Ok-ra-homa.

Explain?? The board has beaten me severely several times for using Syntec. I like it, but how do you know this??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back