Is the reliable Subaru a myth? A legend from times past?

I would never judge a cars long term reliability on just the first two years.

I agree with you. But I just wanted to express just how satisfied I was with the initial quality. It should hold up well. Where people run into problems with these cars is when they start modifying them.

My Ru is 9 years old this November with almost 140K miles. It still has its original brakes all around and the only issue it has had was a squeaky idler pulley. Total maintenance costs beyond oil changes and light bulbs has been $16. At 104K it did have a minor extended cranking condition (caused by low quality fuel); I brought it to the dealer and per a TSB, they flashed the ECU which corrected the issue. Without asking, Subaru comped the TSB repair and then sent me an apology letter because I “had to take time out of my valuable day”.

I owned a 2016 WRX that I bought new in March 2016 and kept for 3 years and >40,000 miles. I took it out to the mountains (Deal's Gap - otherwise known as the Tail of the Dragon - Hwy. 129 in East Tennessee) regularly and beat on it. It took all that abuse in stride. Never even used any measurable oil between changes. The only issue it had was that the brakes were inadequate for that kind of use, which was really very close to spending the day at the track. Subaru has since rectified that issue - for either 2019 or 2020, they started putting 2-piece brake rotors on the WRX, which should help the warping problem I had with mine.

As far as the dealer and Subaru of America - I had great service from them. The car started making a noise a few months after I bought it, and spent weeks at the dealership with them trying to diagnose it. I got SOA involved, they sent a troubleshooter out, and found an exhaust manifold stud nut missing, which had resulted in the gasket being eroded through and leaking, causing a whistle at high RPM.

For my trouble, SOA hooked me up with a fully transferable, 7-year, 100,000-mile Gold Extended Service Plan, free. In addition to that, the dealer always gave me a loaner car when the WRX was in for service.

I ended up selling the car to save some money, primarily, because it was a weekend car for me, and I have a truck that's paid for. I really liked it, and would strongly consider owning one of the next-generation WRXs in the future - especially if they bring back the hatchback body style.

The only other issue I had with the car was how it was tuned from the factory. It had pretty bad rev hang, laggy response from the drive-by-wire throttle, and just bad accelerator tuning overall. Throttle tuning on the cars is not linear; pressing the pedal down 25% of its travel yields, in my estimation, 75% throttle opening, or more. I've heard that the Cobb Accessport ECU re-flash device, which is similar to the KTuner device I just ordered for the wife's Civic 1.5T, fixes that problem. But, like OppositeLock was saying, lots of people start having issues with the WRXs after they start tuning them and cranking up the boost. I don't think a mild tune would hurt anything on the WRX, but, lots of guys (younger guys in particular) go hog wild and do full bolt-ons and turn the boost way up, and that's where they run into problems. The FA20DIT is rated at 268 HP/258 LB-FT, and the connecting rods, especially, can't take an extra 150 LB-FT at 2000 RPM.

I think my favorite part about the car was the handling. The steering, even though it was electric-assist, was wonderful, and the car handled just superbly. Easy to drive, and the bias towards understeer and the AWD made it a very safe car. It was hard to get yourself into trouble pushing too hard.

How are wheel bearings, struts/ shocks, gaskets, and seals brand specific? They’re consumables.
Because certain designs are better. For example, the wheel bearings on the pre-2008 C6 corvettes went out often and the post 2008 design did not, per the techs at Spring mountain. I am quite suspicious that if same brand design change matters...so does brand to brand and model to model...

I owned a 2016 WRX that I bought new in March 2016 and kept for 3 years and >40,000 miles. I took it out to the mountains (Deal's Gap - otherwise known as the Tail of the Dragon - Hwy. 129 in East Tennessee) regularly and beat on it. It took all that abuse in stride. Never even used any measurable oil between changes. The only issue it had was that the brakes were inadequate for that kind of use, which was really very close to spending the day at the track. Subaru has since rectified that issue - for either 2019 or 2020, they started putting 2-piece brake rotors on the WRX, which should help the warping problem I had with mine.

As far as the dealer and Subaru of America - I had great service from them. The car started making a noise a few months after I bought it, and spent weeks at the dealership with them trying to diagnose it. I got SOA involved, they sent a troubleshooter out, and found an exhaust manifold stud nut missing, which had resulted in the gasket being eroded through and leaking, causing a whistle at high RPM.

For my trouble, SOA hooked me up with a fully transferable, 7-year, 100,000-mile Gold Extended Service Plan, free. In addition to that, the dealer always gave me a loaner car when the WRX was in for service.

I ended up selling the car to save some money, primarily, because it was a weekend car for me, and I have a truck that's paid for. I really liked it, and would strongly consider owning one of the next-generation WRXs in the future - especially if they bring back the hatchback body style.

The only other issue I had with the car was how it was tuned from the factory. It had pretty bad rev hang, laggy response from the drive-by-wire throttle, and just bad accelerator tuning overall. Throttle tuning on the cars is not linear; pressing the pedal down 25% of its travel yields, in my estimation, 75% throttle opening, or more. I've heard that the Cobb Accessport ECU re-flash device, which is similar to the KTuner device I just ordered for the wife's Civic 1.5T, fixes that problem. But, like OppositeLock was saying, lots of people start having issues with the WRXs after they start tuning them and cranking up the boost. I don't think a mild tune would hurt anything on the WRX, but, lots of guys (younger guys in particular) go hog wild and do full bolt-ons and turn the boost way up, and that's where they run into problems. The FA20DIT is rated at 268 HP/258 LB-FT, and the connecting rods, especially, can't take an extra 150 LB-FT at 2000 RPM.

I think my favorite part about the car was the handling. The steering, even though it was electric-assist, was wonderful, and the car handled just superbly. Easy to drive, and the bias towards understeer and the AWD made it a very safe car. It was hard to get yourself into trouble pushing too hard.
The Cobb fixes that. Friend of mine had a 2018 and just did a remap basically and when I drove it, I had no complaints about that.

I've never had to change out wheel bearings, and both of my cars are over 20 years old, and one of them is an Alero.

That's what I'm getting at. Ive never changed a rear main seal or an axle. This is the third front axle and the third set of rear wheel bearings. Car is driven on good roads. Garaged it's entire life. The struts were completely trashed.

I know it's 15 years old. So is my goddamn hyundai and it's had wayyyy less problems and I treat that car like the turd it is.

I wonder how the reliability will be now that they are mostly CVT?
The problem is a lot of people ignore problems many older Subaru’s I have seen sound like they shouldn’t be capable of running (tired riding lawn tractor noise) drink oil on every tank of gas.

Then there are owners that think head gasket replacements are apart of normal 100,000 mile maintenance , you also have the VW TDI guys that think $3000/yr in maintenance is normal and the 90,000 mile belt changes are easy and normal.

Lastly you have the lease only people that think the cars are very reliable which is utterly meaningless

takes all kinds I guess

Head gasket replacement it’s what makes a Subaru a Subaru

Gives the haters a chance to come out.

The Bad: Past subaru's had HG, valve cover, alternator, Wheel Bearing problems and the timing belt, idlers and tensioner and water punp needed replacement.

The Good:
Best engineering solution for AWD. Low inling mounted Boxer allowing symetectical drive, with vectored wheel control. 8.9 ground clearance. and now enhanced Xmode. Bo vehicle in its class can begin to match its offroad capability. The first vehicle to ace small overlap crash tests on all their vehicles first time. They pioneered safety.

We will have to see how the CVT holds up. It uses a steel belt and is made by subary. Th now looks promising avter some early problems. Most people that buy subarus love them and would not go back. Right now I am in that class.

But if they screwed me I would be in the opposite camp. So far zero problems with 18 Forester and 19 Crosstrek. But I will be getting rod of each when the extended warranties run out.

Everyone I know over the years with a Subaru burns oil including a friend with 2 new ones. It was so bad that he sold it and bought a Honda.

I know the EJ25 had problems with oil burning if you were lax on oil changes. Tiny little oil control rings. I def can't say anything about oil burning though - my Prius was burning 1 qt every 1000 miles for about 125-140k.

Everyone I know over the years with a Subaru burns oil including a friend with 2 new ones. It was so bad that he sold it and bought a Honda.

My 2016 WRX never burned any oil, but it was the newer FA20 architecture. I know the old 2.5 4-bangers are known for it. A guy I know had his engine replaced on his 2015 WRX (the last year for the 2.5) due to excessive oil consumption.

Back