Is the oil getting thicker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first stated this OCI with MaxLife 10W-30 1200 miles ago, the oil would drip off the dipstick as soon as I pulled it out; now when I pull the dipstick, it doesn't drip off the dipstick unless I shake it will hard. Is this the oxidation process setting in that everyone talks about?

Engine is a Buick 3800 V6 with 91,000 miles in case it matters.

I doubt if the "dipstick drip test" could detect the oxidative thickening change of a couple of centistokes at 100C temperature.

Perhaps this drip test observation has more to do with the additive chemistry, as a chemical affinity for the metal surface of the dipstick will cause more oil cling.

My last car had the oil very thin like water after 3k miles. so much so that it would drip off the dipstick. But then it had 115k miles and coolant was mysteriously disappearing. Also, that car was notorious for oil cooler seal leaks. My new vehicle doesnt do that...

Could this be a difference because of checking the oil when it’s hot versus when it’s cold?

If I check the oil when the vehicle has been sitting overnight (oil cold -- and more so in winter) more sticks to the dipstick. If I check right after a trip (oil hot) less sticks to dipstick.

Quote:

Could this be a difference because of checking the oil when it’s hot versus when it’s cold?

If I check the oil when the vehicle has been sitting overnight (oil cold -- and more so in winter) more sticks to the dipstick. If I check right after a trip (oil hot) less sticks to dipstick.

Bingo - Yahtzee - Kizmet
smile.gif

would you have to ensure that the oil sump and dipstick temperature are exactly the same as the first time, taking into consideration the ambient temperature and consequent dipstick temperature variations all at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back