Is the new Mobil 1 M/C oil for real ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 10-40 has a pour point of -65(F) and a flash point of 487(F)

Also the 20w-50 has a pour point of -60(F) and a flash point of 518(F) !!!!!

That's almost unbelivable !! Have they changed the formulation of those ? I think that's the highest flash and lowest pour points I've seen in an oil. Much better than Amsoil. Would this have real world benifits ? I've heard the MX4T used to shear down quite a bit.

Looks that way.
smile.gif

not sure the pour point change would be that great of an improvement, cause when it's cold enough for that to come into play, i'm not starting, much less riding anything with 2 wheels. the flash point improvment might help w/ cook off? at high temps, but then again, if your scoots running that hot, something else is the matter. impressive #'s though. i think the common thinking of the wet clutch bikes being double hard on the oil is somewhat over stretched. true, the oil does double duty, also lubricating the gears in the transmission, but on most of the current bikes, this motor is also water cooled and many have oil coolers as well. not sure that theres any more stress on an oil in this scenario than an oil just lubing the mill, as in the air cooled harley motors? penz

quote:

Originally posted by Ninjaracer636:
The 10-40 has a pour point of -65(F) and a flash point of 487(F)

Also the 20w-50 has a pour point of -60(F) and a flash point of 518(F) !!!!!

That's almost unbelivable !! Have they changed the formulation of those ? ....

They've had those numbers since moving over to the SuperSyn formula some years ago.

The 20W-50 uses no VI additives, tne 10W-40 uses very little of a very stable VI additive.

Both are extremely shear resistant, both have very high flash points, and both have relatively high levels of zinc and phosphorous.

I use the 20W-50 in old cars that were intended for SAE 30, 40, and 50 mineral oils with good results.

Do Mobil's MC oils have a good reputation among the MC crowd? The specs of their oils are outstanding. Best around...

AMSOIL was about ready to start manufacturing their new m/c oils. Mobil released their new formulations, and AMSOIL tested them. AMSOIL went back to the lab and reformulated their M/C oils to be better.
Yes, the Mobil 1 motorcycle oils are for real.

quote:

Originally posted by Mickey_M:
Both are extremely shear resistant, both have very high flash points, and both have relatively high levels of zinc and phosphorous.

i don't know what the virgin viscosity is, but this short run ended with the supersyn 10w40 being quite thin:

my 800-mile UOA

similarly, note the lowish flashpoint, even though blackstone isn't showing much fuel dilution.

also, the zinc and phosphorous levels don't seem very high, i think it would even meet SL, no?

not trying to comment anything on the oil's ability to properly lubricate, just questioning your comments. thanks.

edited for typos.

-michael

[ September 20, 2005, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Michael SR ]

quote:

AMSOIL went back to the lab and reformulated their M/C oils to be better.

Better? Says who Amsoil? Just kidding. They are excellent as well.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back