Is the new 0W-40 the same as the old 0W-40

So, Castrol seems to have re-supplied 0W-40 in the newer A3/B4 Euro flavor. I can get it on the big A for $27.94 shipped Prime gratis. I'm down to one jug of the old stuff and wondered about the new, IS it the same? Seems to have a couple changes in the SAPS is up a tad and VI is also. Flash went up 5C and PP is up. Can source M1 FS 0W-40 @ $24.97, but not so much an Mobil 1 fan (sorry Overkill). All for older VW 502/505 applications. Would like to go 504/507, but Castrol's LL3 is long gone/too expensive now. Thought about Valvoline XLIII :unsure:.

With enough hair-splitting yes, there is a small difference. More realistically: you may be stressing out over nothing. It's still good stuff, and most likely a lot more capable than what is needed for your application. Use it with confidence, unless you're just looking for reasons to try a different brand.

Not so much for trying a different brand as I am going to a 504/507 for better deposit control. And even THAT may be hairsplitting too as ANY of the "top shelf" 502/505s should be pretty good relative to deposits. More to resigning myself to the fact that even though all my cars get driven pretty hard, they are STILL gonna need blasting at some point no matter what oil I use. VW/Turbo/DI=dirty girl.

This is the PDS from April 24, 2022: https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/...0E662EA8025882F0048BFEF/$File/wepp-cdtt2a.pdf

It looks like they updated the additive package. It looks like it's API SP now, and that Castrol EDGE Euro 0W-40 has BMW LL01 again, wow.

This was one of my favorite oils for a very long time. It's still 50/50 Group III/PAO.

1653324163844.jpg

I am going to wait until Walmart starts carrying it. @shortyb please let us know if it is in fact SP rated when you receive yours. Not that it matters so much, just to see if it's of the newer batch.

This is the PDS from April 24, 2022: https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/...0E662EA8025882F0048BFEF/$File/wepp-cdtt2a.pdf

It looks like they updated the additive package. It looks like it's API SP now, and that Castrol EDGE Euro 0W-40 has BMW LL01 again, wow.

This was one of my favorite oils for a very long time. It's still 50/50 Group III/PAO.

View attachment 101139
There's no proof that Castrol 0w-40 has LL01. The performance claims contradict the approvals elsewhere.

So you believe a $30 spectrographic analysis is more definitive than approval the oil holds?
Uh, no. But the ones interpreted for me (and NOT B-stone labs BTW) by a very well respected tribologist that used to hang around here do. Not subjective, they were done in my cars, with my environment, driving style, fuels etc.

To be fair, none of the Pennzoil analysis were with the Euro LX. Now if I go down the VW504 rabbit hole, it will be on the short list along with the Valvoline and M1 ESP.

Last edited:
It is not.
Old one had pour point -60, this one has -45. Less PAO in new one for sure.
The additive package can also influence the pour point, as do viscosity improvers.

Uh, no. But the ones interpreted for me (and NOT B-stone labs BTW) by a very well respected tribologist that used to hang around here do. Not subjective, they were done in my cars, with my environment, driving style, fuels etc.

To be fair, none of the Pennzoil analysis were with the Euro LX. Now if I go down the VW504 rabbit hole, it will be on the short list along with the Valvoline and M1 ESP.
Well as you note that analysis gave indications of your engine health as operated under your unique operating conditions. It did not give a quality comparison between any two oils. That’s not possible.

Well as you note that analysis gave indications of your engine health as operated under your unique operating conditions. It did not give a quality comparison between any two oils. That’s not possible.
Absolutely correct. At least not outside of my bubble. And what drove my comment about me, personally, not being a PZ fan. Times have changed tough 😉.

Got a big box from the dark gray truck guys. The 0W-40 A3/B4 I received is still API SN, NO LL-01 (actually no BMW approvals on the label), has Porsche A40, Mercedes 229.3/.5, and VW 502/505 listed on the back of the bottle. Still, for the $27.94, I paid with no shipping (yes, I pay for Prime, so there's some) and the $50 gift card I had laying around on the account, it wasn't a bad deal for a really good oil.

Back