Is the M1 extended Perf. true to go up to 15,000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

I have 2001 Acura 3.2 CL which has 111k on it. Althought the Amsoil might be the better chioce, I would like to ask about the M-1 extended perf. oil guaranted up to 15k miles OCI. Anyone has experience with the oil? I plan to drive from Illinois to Alaska.

Thanks.

With a 15k-mile guarantee always comes a hefty list of exclusions and CYA-type statements, so you should study mobil's site if you haven't already.

Assuming the car is in tip-top shape and it'll take you no more than 1 year to accumulate those miles, you might be OK. Although if it's going to be your first time running such long interval, you should probably monitor it closely.

Under all highway, the manufacturer OCI is 7500 on that I think. I think 15,000 is about the tops that is reasonable. I haven't seen many 10,000+ OCI's on the J-series.

You have replaced the timing belt, I hope? How is your tranny doing?

If you're running at least around 70% hiway, and if your engine is not known for being hard on oil, then yes, I would run it to 15k. (And I have various levels of experience with long OCIs.)

Yes you very well could do 15k on that oil just like Amsoil's 25k but not all engines are the same,some will wear out oil at faster rates then others,so when someone says claims like this you just cant assume ok i can do it too,need to do UOA's along the way to see how the oil is holding up. Or do UOA's every OCI to see if one can go longer the next time etc,etc..

Originally Posted By: RyanHeo
Hello.

I have 2001 Acura 3.2 CL which has 111k on it. Althought the Amsoil might be the better chioce, I would like to ask about the M-1 extended perf. oil guaranted up to 15k miles OCI. Anyone has experience with the oil? I plan to drive from Illinois to Alaska.

Thanks.

The 3.2 is a V-6, correct? What oil are you using now, and how often do you change it? If you are looking for an oil to get you from IL to AK and back, I believe it is up to the task if your Acura is in good mechanical condition. You also might want to consider the Mobil 1 HM oils. They also appear to be a very good oil.

Go to the Mobil 1 website and ask them this question. They are usually pretty quick to reply.

Or, just do one UOA w/ a TBN at the end of the first run for proof of concept. If all is well, then every 2nd or 3rd run after that.

(I gotta slow down and start reading post more closely - just noted that he's basically looking at that one long run.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ericthepig

(I gotta slow down and start reading post more closely - just noted that he's basically looking at that one long run.)

Doh!!! yea....

In that case, I'll go on record as saying any SM dino will hold up nicely.

(in fact, this would seem to be a nobrainer - correct me otherwise.)

Last edited:
Well... it's only about 3600 miles from Chicago to Anchorage. I'm guessing he's talking about a round trip with a lot of side-trips along the way. Otherwise, why would he be asking about a 15k mile oil?

I am using M-1 fuel efficency product. Also OCI was 3k but I just got the Acura at the last month. I don't think the previous owner put the full synthenic oil on because he used to go to a shop with $30 deal.

I talk the timing belt project to my daddy ,who live in Seoul, South Korea. He has a 2000 Hyundai 2.5 XG which has 274,000 km (about 171250 miles). The car has not replaced the T-belt even thought he drives mostly in the city in which the Seoul is the one of biggist cities in the world. I know it is true but I do not want to believe that. What do you guys think?

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: RyanHeo
I talk the timing belt project to my daddy ,who live in Seoul, South Korea. He has a 2000 Hyundai 2.5 XG which has 274,000 km (about 171250 miles). The car has not replaced the T-belt even thought he drives mostly in the city in which the Seoul is the one of biggist cities in the world. I know it is true but I do not want to believe that. What do you guys think?

The fact that someone else with a different engine managed to survive this long on a single t-belt is no guarantee that you will, too. If yours is an interference engine (is it?), then I'd say it'd be foolish not to have it replace. The costs of fixing bent valves would be much greater than the cost of preventative t-belt replacement. Cheap insurance, especially that you don't want any unexpected failures along such a road trip.

There is no doubt in my mind the oil will last 15K in "ideal" situations.

As for this being the car's first extended drain, that too shouldn't be a problem if the engine is clean. If you had a lot of clean-up going, likely your oil consumption would shoot up rapidly at some point in the OCI. (as the oil loads up with cleaned residuals and unburned hydrocarbons, it will darken and be consumed as it illicitly enters the combustion chamber) You don't really want this going on during the trip. The best solution is to start with a clean engine!
grin2.gif

The application really isn't that clear - is it a round trip. Will the whole trip (there or there and back) within a month or so.

If it's a continuous/contiguous set of trips maxing w/ 15k accumulating on the clock (within a 1 to 2 month duration). And if cold morning temps aren't expected - then I'd be very tempted to drop a straight 30 in there (probably valvoline) - and dump it when it's all done. I bet his UOA would be just fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back