Is the Corvette next to go out of business?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, it will go.
frown.gif

No "need" for a 2 passenger 150+ MPH car in their mind.

The only 2 seat cars must get high MPG and be "clean".
smirk2.gif

Like this!

slide_1340_19546_large.jpg

Look at the smile. More of a grin than ANY Corvette driver.

That is just too sad to even comprehend. The Corvette is a national treasure, and there are cars that get worse MPG than it does...although I haven't seen the EPA estimates on the ZR1.

But like other rumors of the past (does anyone remember the story about the 'possible turbo V6 Corvette' during the 90s? - the backlash from that made GM's head spin), I have my doubts that our red-blooded American sports cars are quite ready for the grave. But changes are on the way with Ford's proposed 3.5T Mustang. I just can't imagine a world with no Corvette.

A shocking statement indeed: "The analyst expects GM to shrink to just two divisions, Cadillac and Chevrolet. Buick, Pontiac, GMC, Saturn, and HUMMER will all cease to exist."

That's a bloodbath if I ever saw one.

If bureaucrats had their wish, we'd all be driving K-cars or the modern equivalent. What Washington wants and what the general public wants are two different things.

Automobiles have always played with people's emotional side and struck their fancy. I'd be surpried if the Corvette get's shelved.

When it's time to go, it's time to go.

Every company has sad moments like these. Honda shelving the NSX, Mazda the RX7, Toyota the Supra.

The Corvette was a source of national pride, but that doesn't mean there can't be new ones in the future (if the Corvette does indeed go.)

I would hope the Corvette is not the next one to go. It has been a very well engineered vehicle for many years that was able to fend off sports cars, double its price tag. I'm a big fan of the Vette and hope extinction of this well built machine will not come.

GM is in a dire situation. They have to get lean and mean which means cutting back to the core. That may also include cutting low production volume vehicles like the Corvette.

I don't know if the Corvette is profitable for GM, but it's capital investment may be better spent saving the company and investing in cars that will turn a profit with higher production numbers.

Times change.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
GM is in a dire situation. They have to get lean and mean which means cutting back to the core. That may also include cutting low production volume vehicles like the Corvette.

I don't know if the Corvette is profitable for GM, but it's capital investment may be better spent saving the company and investing in cars that will turn a profit with higher production numbers.

Times change.

High production numbers doesn't correlate to profitability. There are many companies that produce relatively low-volumes of product and are profitable, and others that produce high-volumes and are not. It's not just related to the automobile industry, either.

I don't know exact numbers, but the new C6 vettes seems to be selling very well -- I see them everywhere. For a 430HP V8 these things are also pretty fuel efficient!

Originally Posted By: mstrjon32

Times change.

High production numbers doesn't correlate to profitability. There are many companies that produce relatively low-volumes of product and are profitable, and others that produce high-volumes and are not. It's not just related to the automobile industry, either.

And right now GM doesn't make a profit on anything of any volume. Does it make more sense to cut the pickup line and keep the Corvette?

Me thinks not.

we're playing a different game now. one of the reasons that we have the problmes we do is people are resitant to change, and they will fight like mad to keep the status quo.
sure, the corvette is nice, but I've never been able to, nor ever will, be able to afford one. my life (as well as the majority of Americans)will go on w/o the vette.
losing a nat'l treasure is nothing new; domestic manufacturing is/was a nat'l treasure also, but greedy American consumerism drove that away. the Appilachian Mountains are a nat'l treasure, but they are having their tops blown off to get the coal from under them. PNW salmon are a treasure but are gone...

I could go on but I doubt you want me to.

GM sells about 25,000-30,000 Corvettes a year. That number has been pretty steady for a long time. Bowling Green can only crank out so many Vettes every day.

The Corvette may not be core to GM's business or profit, but I believe the car does make money for GM. More importantly, it's a car that enhances GM's image and generates interest in their brands. I am sure all the product line managers are refining the business case for their products, Corvette included.

They need to kill the Corvette ASAP !!!!

It was a good 50+ years of Corvette, but if GM really wants to trim all the fat and stay in business, there is no longer a need for vehicles (toys) like the Hummer or Corvette.

GM has one foot in the grave and the other foot balancing on a banana peel. Even if they sold 300,000 Vettes per year, thats not going to get GM out of the hot water they are in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: mstrjon32

Times change.

And right now GM doesn't make a profit on anything of any volume. Does it make more sense to cut the pickup line and keep the Corvette?

Me thinks not.

GM makes money on most of their product lines. Trucks and SUV's are still very profitable. Its not vehicle profits that are hurting GM, its the drop in revenue compared to the costs of running the business. GM does not need to cut profitable products, they need to cut costs. Their problems have little to do with what they sell.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
the corvette is nice, but I've never been able to, nor ever will, be able to afford one.

I mean, no offense, but, is that my problem? Are we living in Soviet Russia? If they're profitable and they sell, let them sell.

The Corvette has decent gas mileage, you can get 27-29 MPG on the highway with the 6 speed trans. But yeah, the Corvette is toast.

Maybe in 5 years if things get better, OK bring it back and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back