Is the BRZ/FR-S FA20 a weak motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I am in the midst of trading in my 2014 Mazda 3 because of the factory welds rusting and because it is currently in the shop being dismantled for carbon related buildup. I so hopped for Mazda to be innovative with its SkyActiv Petrol engines, but they are Junk. The outgoing MZR motor, albeit was less fuel efficient was far more robust and reliable. I am currently in talks with a Subaru Dealership about a 2015 BRZ. I've gone from thread to thread that state that there aren't any carbon buildup issues. I think this is primarily due to Toyota's implementation of the D4S GDI system which has port injection to alleviate the carbon buildup issues. I'd like some thoughts on the Subaru FA20 for BRZ/FR-S I realize there is an all new FA20 for the WRX and Forrester XT, but those and both Turbo.

Sorry to hear about the Mazda. I hope you have better luck with your next vehicle.The FR-S/BRZ/86 are sharp.

The engine's electronics have had teething pains. May have been sorted out by now.

The engine itself seems solid, AFAIK.

Thanks everyone. I was so hopeful that Mazda would have been the standalone GDI engine producer without port injection. They supposed innovative technology was to use the internal exhaust gases to heat the intake valves to 400+ degrees F to burn off any residual carbon. I taken this motor to the 6300rpm redline on a weekly bases after it's fully warmed up, yet there is still carbon. Shame on Mazda.

just fyi the fr-s and brz use different components, the block and heads are the same(IIRC) but the fuel injection and some other components are different.

My cousin has a 2013 BRZ with 20,000 miles on it and hasn't had any problems. He drives it a few days a week on a "spirited" commute to work and on the weekend occasionally. So far he's followed the recommended maintenance and the only modifications have been wider wheels/tires. It's a really fun car, I would love to own one.

Originally Posted By: SkyActivG
They supposed innovative technology was to use the internal exhaust gases to heat the intake valves to 400+ degrees F to burn off any residual carbon.

Sounds like a recipe for super-hot charge air. How was that not a problem?

Originally Posted By: Rand
just fyi the fr-s and brz use different components, the block and heads are the same(IIRC) but the fuel injection and some other components are different.

Really? I thought everything was the same except suspension tuning, options, and cosmetic bits.

I know nothing about cars rusting out or Mazda's, but even I know Mazda's rust out easily.

I agree with modern Mazdas being junk these days. They look pretty but they're not nearly as robust as the old early 90s models that weren't quite as pretty.
As for the FA20, if you mean weak as in unreliable then absolutely not, they seem pretty reliable and tend to take a beating but it is a bit early to tell about high mileage and long term longevity.
If you mean weak as in not very powerful then yes in stock form they aren't very fast, but judging by the low starting price they were designed with tuners in mind and Toyota/Subaru knew that a lot of them will be modfied and boosted.
Even in stock form with a manual trans they make a very fun pokey little car from what I've heard, and they are absolutely flooding the roads down here!

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: Rand

Really? I thought everything was the same except suspension tuning, options, and cosmetic bits.

Same here I thought both motors were identical. It would not be cost effective to make 2 motors with an entirely different setup and mechanical components. Please elaborate on the drastic differences.

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
I agree with modern Mazdas being junk these days. They look pretty but they're not nearly as robust as the old early 90s models that weren't quite as pretty.
As for the FA20, if you mean weak as in unreliable then absolutely not, they seem pretty reliable and tend to take a beating but it is a bit early to tell about high mileage and long term longevity.
If you mean weak as in not very powerful then yes in stock form they aren't very fast, but judging by the low starting price they were designed with tuners in mind and Toyota/Subaru knew that a lot of them will be modfied and boosted.
Even in stock form with a manual trans they make a very fun pokey little car from what I've heard, and they are absolutely flooding the roads down here!

Thanks for your response. I meant weak in terms of reliability. If I want more power I and in a catless UEL header lol
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I think you should test drive a WRX...
I'm running away from the Wrx and Forrester XT. Both use the same 2.0 motor; however both have has dire mechanical failures.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2675626

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2683368

Subaru needs to fix the kinks in this motor. I feel as though Toyota could be parting ways with Subaru because of their new relationship with BMW in regard to the future Supra. I will say the the Boxer engine is amazing in the sense of reliability, but I don't see an application for it, unless it's turbocharged. Pretty much all of the Posche engines are turbocharged for this very reason. I'm sorry to predict this, but the BRZ and FR-S will probably become relics after 2016, hence the reason I want 1 Mwahaha. I'll get a clear bra to protect its front bumper, hood and fenders.

I find it hilarious that the op has spent his time bashing Hyundai, Honda, Toyota and Subaru and at the same time telling us how Mazda skyactive is the best thing since sliced bread. Now all of a sudden Mazda is junk.

Originally Posted By: SkyActivG
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I think you should test drive a WRX...
I'm running away from the Wrx and Forrester XT. Both use the same 2.0 motor; however both have has dire mechanical failures.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2675626

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2683368

Subaru needs to fix the kinks in this motor. I feel as though Toyota could be parting ways with Subaru because of their new relationship with BMW in regard to the future Supra. I will say the the Boxer engine is amazing in the sense of reliability, but I don't see an application for it, unless it's turbocharged. Pretty much all of the Posche engines are turbocharged for this very reason. I'm sorry to predict this, but the BRZ and FR-S will probably become relics after 2016, hence the reason I want 1 Mwahaha. I'll get a clear bra to protect its front bumper, hood and fenders.

The majority of Porsche boxers are not turbocharged.

Originally Posted By: R2d2
I find it hilarious that the op has spent his time bashing Hyundai, Honda, Toyota and Subaru and at the same time telling us how Mazda skyactive is the best thing since sliced bread. Now all of a sudden Mazda is junk.
If you want to start drama I'm all ears. I regard to Toyota their NON port injection GDI has issues. Hyrundai's are just Korean junk just like Kia and Daewoo. I'm sorry to be blunt about it but that's what is, in regard to what Korean cars are, buy them and run them 30k, then throw them away. I never bashed Honda. Link a thread detailing me bashings of Honda EarthDreams GDI. The SkyaActiv Mazda 3 is in the shop for welding and engine cleansing. The Mechanic even said to part ways with it. So I'd like for you to chime in to this post. I'm basing my posts from Nasioc, Iwsti and manybe other Subaru forums. Do your homework and then come back for a real thread argument.

Originally Posted By: eddy21
How did the carbon problem manifest itself. Warranty covering this?

The car started to exhibit studdering with ignition and then it finally died. Geico towed it to a Mazda/Subaru dealership. where it's being repaired. I want OUT of this POS Mazda!!!! Honda VW GM anything! at 19k miles this shouldn't be happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back