Is Texaco Havoline synthetic a real synthetic (POA based)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at synthetic motor oil the other day for my Volvo. The Texaco Havoline was the best price of all the synthetics at Autozone. I have not read to much about people's opinion on it. Any reason not to use it?

Jim

After I posted this questions, I called their tech support. Nice and helpful person told me this oil is a combo POA and class 3 base stock. Now I just need to figure out if this is considered a good syn oil? The more I read this forum the more I get confused
frown.gif

Jim

From the MSDS, it appears to be base II and III oils with no indication of any synthetic fluids at all, assuming the CAS numbers are accurate.

frankenvette,

There's more to an oil than the base oil, you have to consider that additives also. Schaeffers makes a synthetic blend with an additive package that shows some comprable results from oil analysis compared with full PAO base oil products.

So unfortunately there's no easy answer to your questions about whether or not it's a good oil. Also some oils will be better for your particular engine and driving habits than others. Only oil analysis can determine if it works for your application in my opinion.

Is it PAO-based? Not likely as the MSDS states "DISTILLATES, HYDROTREATED HEAVY PARAFFINIC: > 80.00%"

Is it good? It's fully API-certified from an established brand. I hope that's worth something.

PS - If it's safe to ask on this forum, who did you call at Texaco?

[ January 07, 2003, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: 68redlines73 ]

I called their customer service and was transfered to tech support. Can't remember the guys name, but he was probably a chemist of some sort. He told me they use POA and class 3 base stock. You know, I ran my 85 Trans Am with a 305 engine up to 145,000 with no major problems in the 90's. Those engines were not the best GM ever made! Maybe I should just keep using dyno oil and change every 3-5k miles like I always have. Have never had an engine (not including accessory components) problem yet.

Jim

frankenvette,

Usually, they use EITHER PAO or Group III because the required additive packages are different among the bases. Now Schaeffer's uses Group I and PAO in their 700 (Supreme) series because the additive package requirements are similar.

A Virgin Oil Analysis. So many of the MSDS' won't tell you anything about about the other additive components.

Jim,
Do you know if this Havoline was the product made by Equillon (the now-dissolved joint venture between Shell & Texaco) or newer product made by ChevronTexaco after their merger? The back of the bottle will tell you. I don't think that there's any more Equillon Havoline being made, but there is still old stock in many stores.

In any case, it's good oil, but probably not worth the same price as a true synthetic oil like Mobil 1.

Ken

Ken,

This is made by Chevron/Texaco out of CA. I'm trying to decide if this is worth $3.39/quart which is less than the $4.99/quart for Mobil 1.

Jim

Jim, what oil drain interval are you going to use either of these oils. That makes a big difference on which oil to buy and which oil is worth the money.

Also, keep an eye on Wal*Mart's pricing of Mobil 1. I've seen it at $3.38, frequently at $3.95, and the fiver for $17.88 (sometimes $14.something).

Ken

Ken,

I'm going to check out WallyWorld tomorrow for Mobil 1 pricing. I just spoke with my buddy tonight who has owned a 2000 vette, 2002 Porshe 911 and Mercedes Kompressor E class all in the last 12 months. The vette and the Benz both use Mobil 1 during the free oil service program. If Mobil 1 is good enough for a corvette and high performance Benz, it is good enough for me. I think I'll take back the Havoline and get Mobil 1 and put this topic to rest.

I like to change my oil every 5,000 miles regardless of dyno or syn. Never had a problem with changing dyno 10w-30 every 5,000 miles in a 98 Ford Taurus that I drove 55,000 miles in 1 year for work. I'm using Mann oil filters in my Volvo 960 and K&N in my vette and Grand Cherokee. I feel the Mobil 1 and these quality filters should keep my cars running for a few years
gr_stretch.gif

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back