Is Techron still king?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please excuse the general question, but is Techron still the go-to? Looking to use it in my wife's 2.0 Ecoboost D.I. engine and in an old Nissan 2.5 Nissan motor ( high mileage ).

Thoughts on what to use in both?

It's one of many detergent additives that works well. I don't really think at this point there's really any one king of the hill. There are a number of top quality additive makers including Chevron, BASF, Afton, Lubrizol, etc. Any fuel marketer can buy a top quality additive or even have one custom made (like Costco by Lubrizol).

But what kind of Techron? The name refers to everything from Chevron's bulk fuel additive in pump fuel, as well as several different pour-in additives.

Sorry, talking about the additive like the concentrate sold now that can be poured into fuel. Or even Redline SI. Techron can be had locally, so it helps a lot

I don't know if Techron is "king" here, but I believe generally speaking it is still considered one of the go to CFSCs. When I can get the 20oz bottle on BOGO with a rebate I'll buy a couple bottles. Otherwise I also like Gumout Regane High Mileage FSC from WM $4.44 to $4.94 depending if it's on rollback. Gumout All in One another one I've used, treats more gallons. Based on comments some use whole bottle to treat ~20 gals anyway.

Modern engines running 10% ethanol gas really don't need this. Ethanol is a very good cleaner in itself. One of the few benefits to offset the negatives.

very unlikely you'll see a measurable difference 1 month or so after running it unless you are regularly getting your gasoline from very low volume gas stations (middle of nowhere) that have old stale gas.

Using two 10oz. bottles of Tehcron concentrate in my vehicles with over 15 gal. gas tanks for less than $9 from WM right before every oil change - what's not to like ?

the top tier fuels are dosed with this stuff or similar to keep everything good.

No need to add. I have to and to usually no good effect,.
and sometime had long crank problems after for months.

If you are going to add Gumout Regane or Techron I's do it a couple weeks before any planned OC

you don't want that stuff and gunk it's possibly cleaning up in your fresh oil.

This topic is covered weekly. And agree with what others have essentially said...Techron is good, but "king" is a stretch.

PEA is king, different products have different amounts.. and other additives that may or may not help.

I prefer techron because its inexpensive being on sale frequently.

If they were all the same price I'd probably use redline, since they arent I use whatever.

Just stocked up on 4 of the gumout mult system tuneup since they were $3.33 on sale from 7.xx

Gumout, Techron, CRC, Berryman's (yes, Berrymans makes a pea cleaner) are all good products. Each has their own preferred concoction that they feel works best but in reality I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Just buy whatever is cheapest/on sale at the time you need it..or stock up when they go on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back