Is Syntec 0w30 still made in Germany?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not been to AZ for a couple of weeks, but the last time I was in, they had pulled all the GC from the shelves.....I'm not sure why.

Someone also mentioned that Syntec 5w40 is no longer made in Belgium.

So it begs the question: Is current production Syntec 0w30 still being made in Germany or has production been moved elsewhere?

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
Someone also mentioned that Syntec 5w40 is no longer made in Belgium.

So it begs the question: Is current production Syntec 0w30 still being made in Germany or has production been moved elsewhere?

That someone was me....
grin.gif

The new US-made Syntec 5W40 that I found was in what appears to be Castrol's new bottle. Well, technically the bottle is the same but the labeling is a little different. Castrol's new ad slogan, "Unlock The Power" is now on the front of the bottle. It will be interesting to see if they start bottling 0W30 in the new bottles. If anyone finds one, be sure to check the back label for the production location.

Keep your eyes open!
wink.gif

After a bit of research on the Castrol USA website, I found this to be a bit concerning:

" SAE 0W-30:
Castrol SYNTEC 0W-30 European Formula is engineered to meet the Mercedes Benz 229.5 specification. The 0W-30 viscosity grade is ideal for winter conditions where low temperature pumpability is required. A unique, low-temperature formulation provides exceptional pumpability in cold weather and allows for unaided engine starts down to -40°F. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01; MB 229.1, 229.3, 229.5; BMW LL-01; GM-LL-A-025, GM-LL-B-025 and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils. "

Now let's compare with the wording on the back of the new US-made 5W40 bottle:

"Superior European Formula now blended in the U.S.A.
Made in the U.S.A. from domestic and imported components"

dunno.gif

BTW - Pics of the relabeled Syntec bottle can be found here .

I went to Autozone today and found Castrol Syntec 0W30 but it was made in USA. Is it replacing GC or are they still producing GC? This was in the new all black bottle.

quote:

Originally posted by Annihilator:
I went to Autozone today and found Castrol Syntec 0W30 but it was made in USA. Is it replacing GC or are they still producing GC? This was in the new all black bottle.

Did you happen to get the production code(aka: "M" number)on the bottom of the bottle? Keep in mind, the plastic bottle itself has not changed. Only the labeling has and its kind of subtle. ("Unlock The Power" appears in small script underneath "Syntec" on the new bottles)
At one time, Castrol did produce 0W30 in the US. Its easily identified w/ "0W30" in yellow on the front label.

No, I didn't. The Label was black w/ yellow letters. So the made in USA 0W30 is different from green GC and gold GC is newer and has not been proven to be as good? Am I getting this right?

In a nutshell, your statement in accurate. The yellow-labeled US Syntec 0w30 pre-dates the imported GC(green), although I believe there was a time when both were available simultaniously. The M05 "Gold" GC is the new kid on the block, but our VW is beginning to take a liking to it.

There is also a Red label US made 0w-30 that is still around, but is easy to spot because it has the starburst on the front of the bottle.

-

I think it had a M02 date on it, but I can't remember for sure.

I don't think Auto Zone sells any other Castrol 0W-30 but GC inside the stores. I've never seen the American stuff 0W-30s at Auto Zone here in the Detroit vicinity.

quote:

Originally posted by AR15 VDub:
I once went to an AZ and all they had was M01. 20 quarts of it.

Yea, 2 of the AZ by my work have only Yellow label 0w-30, probably 30-40 qts total. Yet, less than 5 miles away at 2 other stores I have found about 25 M04 GC bottles.

My local AutoZone has a mix of the "gold" GC (Made in Germany) and also some of the old-stock "Made in USA" Syntec 0w-30. Unfortunately no more "green" GC
frown.gif

I want all of you to rest easy...one day I saw Jürgen and Sacha go down in my basement and only Jürgen came out and he was about 7' tall. You guessed it the Elves have been pulling a Little Rascals stunt (you know gettin on one anothers shoulders and wearing a big coat so they look taller). Why you say? They have been working in various Castrol labs around the country and trying not to draw attention to themselves...although wearing a large coat when it is 90 degrees out is certainly not subtle. Bottom line: all is well..the Elves are still controlling the blending process of NC (NATO Castrol) so don't fear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back