Is some visible metal in filter OK? Or any amount of metal in filter is alarming?

Hey all, I have a 2011 BMW 335is and I inspected my filter at my last oil change and it looks like this opened up. Is this alarming or is a certain amount ok? The oil looked pretty clean. The car did have some engine work, the intake camshaft bearing ledge was replaced and it seems to be aluminum like it. Although that was in April, can it still be remenants of that breaking in? The yellow stuff seems to be filter material rather than copper. This is also just 3000KM interval, I had another oil change in August.

I generally don't worry about small flakes of metal in the filter. Keeping large debris from circulating is the only job of an oil filter. It certainly does not "clean" the engine oil. Of course, why not perform a UOA at each subsequent oil change, and develop a trend. And just keep an eye on it with filter inspections.

Metal has many sources, although you are right to suspect previous engine work as a likely source.

You might find it interesting that Lycoming allows up to a "teaspoon" of metal in the filter of some aircraft engines, before the engine is disassembled.

With what I see so far, I'm not at all concerned. With the caveat that I don't know the quality of the work, the parts used or any other symptoms.

I generally don't worry about small flakes of metal in the filter. Keeping large debris from circulating is the only job of an oil filter. It certainly does not "clean" the engine oil. Of course, why not perform a UOA at each subsequent oil change, and develop a trend. And just keep an eye on it with filter inspections.

Metal has many sources, although you are right to suspect previous engine work as a likely source.

You might find it interesting that Lycoming allows up to a "teaspoon" of metal in the filter of some aircraft engines, before the engine is disassembled.

With what I see so far, I'm not at all concerned. With the caveat that I don't know the quality of the work, the parts used or any other symptoms.

Copy that thank you for your input. I was considering a oil analysis it's just it's significant cost for me to send to blackstone. Used to do it with my other car that got totaled. But yeah I plan to do another oil change soon as I need to replace the oil level sensor as it isn't 100% accurate. I'll re check the filter then although it's not going to be a lot of miles.

I wouldn't worry about unless the amount increases.

Make sure you use a quality spec oil and filter, meeting or exceeding whatever is required.

Ok thanks. This amount has actually decreased since I've done the job originally. Since I had oil level sensor issues I thought maybe I was to low but I was at most ~ 1L low if my calculations are correct. If I had damage caused by low oil, I would've had much worse metal than the pictures above right over 3000KM?

This was how it looked first oil change after doing the camshaft bearing ledge. Was just worried how there was still some still but it has to be realted to that. And FYI this was with just 200KM of driving compared to 3000KM from above. I tihnk I'm good... I'm a bit of a paranoid person lol and I like to double check with other minds :)

Back